Stihl 076 : Quickstop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuggyBuggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have two 076es. One of them bears the label "Stihl 076 AV electronic"; the other bears the same label but has
"quickstop" at the bottom. Neither saw has either a chain brake nor a clutch cover which would seem to allow a brake, but both have the "ears" for mounting a hand guard.

Is the "quickstop" label designation supposed to mean that the saw shipped with a brake, that the model was available with a brake, or something else ?

I ask because I'm looking at the clutch and wondering whether I may have the clutch for a brake model.

The saw marked "Quickstop" would have when new a chainbrake which at that time would have been a option. On the 076 the clutch would have been the same if it had a brake or not, some early Stihl CB's were of a type that disengauged the clutch which if you ever see one you will see they were a marvel of engineering, how ever it allowed the saw to go from full load to nothing at max revs and this caused a couple of dramatic crank failures on the 042/048 models fitted with them. That type of brake is now fairly rare to find and a little while ago another member did indeed end up with a 032 that had a clutchbrake type cover but a standard clutch that needed the band type brake cover.

I don't think there's any difference in the clutch drum, but not positive. Here's mine with chain brake before I had a muffler guard on it.

446845523_yHFih-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back