Stihl 076 trouble milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a spare carb?
The 1111 series saws are rev limited via the carb. At at a threshold RPM the vibrations cause a control valve to open and the air/fuel mixture is made richer to prevent the RPMs climbing any further. It sounds like your control valve might be opening and not shutting again when it gets hot causing your saw to flood.
It is possible to bypass the control valve with an aluminium shim.[/QUOTE]

So the saga continues, I have replaced the iginition with one off a TS760 which seems to work better.
JDNicol, I don't have a spare carb, I removed the control valve and it seemed to be sticking, I tried freeing it up by poking around, spraying parts cleaner, and compressed air in but it seems that all I did was to make it stick open now, doesn't even work part of the time. When I try to start the saw it is totally flooded even with both the H and L screws set all the way IN. So my question is how can I do the aluminum shim bypass?

I have done a compression test and am getting 140+ psi.

Can I just put a piece of aluminum beneath the valve and then screw it back in, thus blocking it off? Or if I can find a bolt with the same thread pitch can I use that?
Thanks!

Yes, cut/punch a piece of Al pop can or equivalent and place it under the screw plug and washer, against the carb body.

That series was always expensive to operate, the original design flaws generated a few "fixes" that didn't really address the problems. My 075 spent almost as much time in the shop as it did in the woods, it was a moneypit.

Back