Stihl 076

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15154516157861692620617.jpg You probably have one of these on the flywheel side, right?15154515575361736938102.jpg
The seals can be popped out with a flat screwdriver and a hammer. This destroys them, so see if you can procure the seals first. The clutch end is still the same part number throught all years, I think.
Your old saw may very well have asbestos gaskets, so use a good razor blade and don't create a dust by filing or grinding. Try not to gouge the gasket sealing surface. Some lacquer thinner is good to clean surfaces free of oil, and dry it out.
Get an old clean empty spray bottle to spray the thinner, then blow it out with compressed air.

Thanks for the offer, very kind. The photos are idenditical to my saw...what started out as a 076 restoration is becoming a bit of a nightmare - why can't anything be simple?
I do have another crankshaft for a 075 - which I ought as replacement for the 076 model I don't have ..would this fit?
I try to find the bearings when I get home from work there maybe some around here in the uk. I'll let you know thanks.

Thanks for the offer, very kind. The photos are idenditical to my saw...what started out as a 076 restoration is becoming a bit of a nightmare - why can't anything be simple?
I do have another crankshaft for a 075 - which I ought as replacement for the 076 model I don't have ..would this fit?
I try to find the bearings when I get home from work there maybe some around here in the uk. I'll let you know thanks.
They did a lot of subtle changes over the years. The earlier ones like yours are the most difficult to find parts for, as some of the parts are obsolete. That's the reason I bought those two bearings on eBay. I have a complete 051 that has been in a tote for five years now, that I have everything to finish it with, except time. The parts are even powder coated.
Those saws take two to three times longer to rebuild than a newer saw. Every one of them is like a dang restoration.
Your 075 crank will fit that 051 fine. The clutch side bearing is 6204 c3 rated bearing, which has the 47mm OD that you need to fit your case.
I have four or five NOS 051 firesafe mufflers, a bunch of oem intake, cylinder base, and exhaust gaskets. I even have an NOS 051AV filter cover. Too bad you aren't nearer to the US. lol

Before it slips off my mind... I dropped by the Stihl dealership just before lunch break.

Stihl still has a "limited" stock of OE 076/TS760 cylinders and pistons but once that supply is gone they won't stock them anymore. As @alexcage said these days they mostly use Cross Performance pistons and cylinders as they seem to hold up rather well in the TS concrete saws.
The 051/TS510 is another matter: Stihl doesn't stock any more cylinders and pistons in Germany, but there's still a fair bit of NOS floating around in Europe and apparently they are still available in Brazil. There's a Cross Performance top end kit available for the 051/TS510 as well albeit it's a rara avis. If you can recover the cylinder Meteor does have have a piston kit which is as good as the original and far cheaper.

Hope this is useful.

9years plus a few more!
Found a second hand piston and pot (051) in good condition-ish so I may purchase it rather than going down the aftermarket root.
Still in limbo about the crankshaft whether to use the 075 or try to find the right roller bearing fir the original.

View attachment 624152 You probably have one of these on the flywheel side, right?View attachment 624151
The seals can be popped out with a flat screwdriver and a hammer. This destroys them, so see if you can procure the seals first. The clutch end is still the same part number throught all years, I think.
Your old saw may very well have asbestos gaskets, so use a good razor blade and don't create a dust by filing or grinding. Try not to gouge the gasket sealing surface. Some lacquer thinner is good to clean surfaces free of oil, and dry it out.
Get an old clean empty spray bottle to spray the thinner, then blow it out with compressed air.

My flywheel side looks slightly different. Here are the two crankshafts there's a slight difference at the end of the thread.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg