Stihl 076AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.williams

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked this saw up from a friend of mine who's dad used it for one year with a 48" alaskan saw mill. Saw is in perfect shape with nothing replaced or repainted. It has set in his shop for the last 20 years or so and just got tired of moving it. I was more than happy to take it off his hands. When i picked it up the powerhead was still attached to the mill. So i bought a 30" & 36" bar and chains. I do have a couple of questions, what is the proper compression and why is the stihl name plate yellow?
View attachment 127599

View attachment 127600

View attachment 127601

View attachment 127604

View attachment 127605

Love the old iron. That one is in really nice shape, great find. I wonder if the name plate is yellowed from the sun......?

I had the compression checked at the stihl shop and they said it was a little above 100. Does that mean it needs looked at?

Yes i agree. i would not run it untill you pull the cylinder ans see whats going on in there. Should be able to get p/c for that saw. Those are very good saws baiscly early 088s . I think there 111cc ??

Just pull the air cleaner cover and filter, choke off, squeeze the throttle wide open and shine a light down on the piston when it is in front of the intake port. If it looks fine, run it and dont look back. With as low hours as it has, if the piston looks fine theres probably nothing wrong. On a side note if it has a decomp button make sure it seals and the spark plug is tight and sealing.

Thats a clean one.
Very nice. I would check the compression
with another guage and see what it reads.
As others have stated 100 is low. But you
can still get parts for them.

Lee

Hello,
jealousy does not cover how I feel. Nice get!! How much did you get it for?
I have a manual and IPL for it if you need one.
Parts are pretty easy to come by.

Have fun.
Chris
PS it is 111cc

Hopefully its just the compression release... If you pick it up by the pull cord does it hang or fall. All the 075's I have hang well :) :monkey: One could say they are hung :jawdrop:

since the saw has low hours over 30 years, it is also possible that it ran rich on oil(manual says 25:1) and the rings are gummed a bit......

Just pull the air cleaner cover and filter, choke off, squeeze the throttle wide open and shine a light down on the piston when it is in front of the intake port. If it looks fine, run it and dont look back. With as low hours as it has, if the piston looks fine theres probably nothing wrong. On a side note if it has a decomp button make sure it seals and the spark plug is tight and sealing.

Yes that will work for the intake side. Pull the muffler and look at the exhaust side. More times than none it's usually scored on the exhaust side, unless of course it has took in some debris.

Yes that will work for the intake side. Pull the muffler and look at the exhaust side. More times than none it's usually scored on the exhaust side, unless of course it has took in some debris.

On horizontal cylinder configurations such as these saws both ports are on the same side of the piston. Pulling the muffler is not necessary, nor is it an easy task like vertical configurations.

since the saw has low hours over 30 years, it is also possible that it ran rich on oil(manual says 25:1) and the rings are gummed a bit......

My manual says 40:1 (as usual the 25:1 is for non-stihl oil)

The largely still intact paint job underneath that saw says that saw sat in a mill most of its life. It looks to be in very nice condition. I milled about 80 logs with my 076, it's a real nice milling saw.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Checked the local dealer and was told stihl didnt make 076 parts anymore. Where can i look now for replacement parts?

Latest posts

Back