Stihl 08 and new to the forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWRstroke_smoke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a stihl 08 at an estate liquidation for 75$. they said it was probably not running. SO i picked it up anyways brought it home this morning and and gave it a full tune up. I did some carb cleaning and gave it a full safety inspection head to toe and got it running very nicely. it has good compression also!
This is my first chainsaw for small stuff around my new home. Until now I have always borrowed my fathers.
I haven't found much info on here about old service manuals or old advertisements prints so if anyone has any i would welcome a copy.
Any info on the year of manufacture, the quality of the bar or tips and tricks on the 08 would be great!
Thank you and here are some pics of it.

NCM_0193_zpsgmnia4uh.jpg

NCM_0191_zpslkbh0mkg.jpg

NCM_0189_zpssyqnrd4y.jpg

NCM_0188_zpsejwcmkf4.jpg

NCM_0187_zpseo93qk5t.jpg

There's a good chance that saw is from the 1960's or 70's. Though I'm not a historian on vintages. But that's a tough saw to be your first. Points ignition. 08 parts are hard to come by. Man she sure is pretty though.

thanks for the welcome! used parts seem endless on eBay and the local shop said the could get a carb kit for it no problem. I work on diesels alot so this old thing should be no problem
any parts in particular that are hard to find that are replaced more often than other components?

Thank you, I will keep an eye out for those and grab a set of everything i will need when i see them for sale. Thanks to a generous member on here I already have a few service manuals!
I like to keep tools for a long time and rebuild them whenever possible. I hate how disposable things that are sold now a days are.
I just fully restored this old craftsman 150 and was able to find one replacement bearing at a local bearing shop. Should last another 55 years!
NCM_0171_zpsa64c455b.jpg

NCM_0172_zps233b6a93.jpg

That's a great looking saw. like me I don't see why we have to throw things away when they can easily be brought back to full working life, I have a good number of old Stihl machines and have rebuild most of my stock, I haven't found it to difficult to get spares, even for my oldest 07.
the saw in you photo was first made 1961 and up graded in 1967. These are very powerful saws "be careful when in use"

they seem to have decent power. some say They are a little heavy but I'm 6'6 285 and the weight seems just right

Nice looking saw. I'm sure you figured it out by now, but the 08 doesn't have a kill switch. Just use the choke to kill it.

I noticed that my dad didn't like that feature but it works really well. I don't mind it at all. I guess only the 08s have the kill switch. wonder if I could add the 08s kill switch to the 08

I think the 08 ran from '63-'66 before the 08S replaced it. Yours must be a later one, or the hand guard was added later. The bar is the current style production, the original would be unpainted with the log logo in the middle. I put a TS kit on mine and use it a couple times a year.

Hi this is a bit off topic unsure how to start a new thread.
I'm looking for a set of spikes for a makita dcs231t any help would be great

Latest posts

Back