Stihl 08 S picture(s) or descriptions needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLINT

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have all the parts now to put the carburetor and fuel lines back together, but I'm not sure exactly how everything is oriented.

forgive me, I don't know the exact names of all the parts so i'll describe them.

the plastic 90 degree piece that connects to the rubber grommet part of the fuel pickup which way should the nipple point?

also, the plastic piece with the nipple thats on the bottom of the carb - which way should that nipple point?

does anyone know the correct screw length for the screw that holds that bottom plastic piece onto the carborator - I found a light switch cover screw (for home wiring) that seems to work fine, but want to make sure it is the correct length.

also, what is the vent tube supposed to do? just stick straight up? or is it supposed to stick out that slot in the red cover with the handle?

Finally - how do you get the throttle to connect to that little arm thing on the carb? there is this bent metal wire connected to the throttle trigger and I see where it is supposed to connect to, but after I squeeze the trigger once, it doesnt stay in the correct position - what keeps it there?

Thanks for any help!!!

I have all the parts now to put the carburetor and fuel lines back together, but I'm not sure exactly how everything is oriented.

forgive me, I don't know the exact names of all the parts so i'll describe them.

the plastic 90 degree piece that connects to the rubber grommet part of the fuel pickup which way should the nipple point?

- 7 o'clock looking from the air filter forward

also, the plastic piece with the nipple thats on the bottom of the carb - which way should that nipple point?

- 5 o'clock looking from the air filter forward. Depends really on the length of fuel line - but it should go between the connectors in a nice gentle sweep with no kinks.

does anyone know the correct screw length for the screw that holds that bottom plastic piece onto the carborator - I found a light switch cover screw (for home wiring) that seems to work fine, but want to make sure it is the correct length.

- 10mm

also, what is the vent tube supposed to do? just stick straight up? or is it supposed to stick out that slot in the red cover with the handle?

- Just sticks straight up - but not through the slot. The slot is to allow you to get a screwdriver in to adjus the idle with the cover on.

Finally - how do you get the throttle to connect to that little arm thing on the carb? there is this bent metal wire connected to the throttle trigger and I see where it is supposed to connect to, but after I squeeze the trigger once, it doesnt stay in the correct position - what keeps it there?

- The return spring on the throttle spindle should push the metal wire back up when you release the trigger. The hook on the metal wire should hook round the knob on the throttle spindle. If it doesnt - then it could be bent out of line.

Wow, great! Thanks Ropetow!

one more question about the vent tube - may sound silly. I have a new vent tube and it has a screw screwed in to it. do i leave the screw in there all the way - or back it out partially or what? whats the point of the vent tube if it doesnt vent?

Thanks

Wow, great! Thanks Ropetow!

one more question about the vent tube - may sound silly. I have a new vent tube and it has a screw screwed in to it. do i leave the screw in there all the way - or back it out partially or what? whats the point of the vent tube if it doesnt vent?

Thanks

The vent tube will vent by the air moving past and around the grub screw threads, the grub screw does not screw in, it has to be sized to the line so as it just pushes in with a blunt round rod or drill bit. If the grub screw is screwed in then the threads may cut into the tube sidewall and then it will not vent. Hope this helps.
Pioneerguy600

ok, it runs!!!!!

put it all together and put a little gas under the spark plug to see if it would even think about starting before I filled up the gas tank.

that thing started right up, so I put gas in the tank and ran it for a little while.

seems to run great. I set the H and L screws to the basic setting as described in the manual and played around a little with the idle screw.

SO. Now I need a bar and chain.

I went to my sthil dealer, and he called up stihl and they still make a 21" bar that will fit the saw and they can also get a chain for it.

however, the bar is $80 and the chain is $40 !!!!!!!

After thinking about it, i have almost no money into this thing, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to sink $120 to get it cutting wood - but it just seemed kind of high.

anyways, what do you think??? do you know of any other cheaper sources of bars/chains that would fit this saw??? I've checked ebay and one seller store does have a bar, but its for a 3/8 chain and sprocket and mine is .404

The bars that fit the 08`s are a little more scarce due to the mount being the same as the real big Stihl saws, like the 076-090. They do often come up on eBay but usually bring a higher price on there than what you can find them in a shop. Did you check out Bailey`s, they seem to have good prices on chain and bars most of the time.
Pioneerguy600

I went to my sthil dealer, and he called up stihl and they still make a 21" bar that will fit the saw and they can also get a chain for it.

however, the bar is $80 and the chain is $40 !!!!!!!

After thinking about it, i have almost no money into this thing, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to sink $120 to get it cutting wood - but it just seemed kind of high.

anyways, what do you think??? do you know of any other cheaper sources of bars/chains that would fit this saw??? I've checked ebay and one seller store does have a bar, but its for a 3/8 chain and sprocket and mine is .404

No, no, no. Don't spend that much on a B&C. Watch eBay. They're out there for a lot less than that. Matter of fact Baileys had a clearance on some short 3002 mount bars last year for dirt cheap. Just keep your eyes open for a while. Maybe someone here has one they'd sell ya.

oh ok,

maybe I'll just go ahead and get the parts through my Sthl dealer - they've been really good to work with.

I called Bailey's and they don't have anything. They gave me a number for Ron's saw service, but if they are a sthil dealer, they won't be able to sell me anything over the phone, or on line - i don't think the dealers can work that way.

Back