Stihl 088, .404 or 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a 088 with a .404 chain. Most of my saws run 3/8 chains. I would like to switch the 088 to 3/8. That way, I can use the same roll of chain. Since I also have a Duromatic bar, it would be cheap to switch. Any advantages running a .404 chain on the 088? Can you notice any real differences running a 3/8th chain?

as long as your 3/8 chain is .063 gauge. just swap out the rim in the saw and any sprockets on the end of your bars, hard nose bars could care less what chain you run on them. Why do you want 3/8 when the 088 has the power to pull the .404 in any length, plus the .404 will cut faster.

i have .404 on my 084 and would never consider anything else for it.

The .404 just feels natural on it.

.404 lasts longer than 3/8.

Me too ,but maybe it has something to do with .404 has less cutters per given bar length......better chip clearing ability

I was cross cutting another monster red oak Sunday 41 inch full comp eat it like it was nothing. I just dont see it. Now another reason I went with 3/8 is those cyclone wheels are to much to buy another one. Couple seconds either way really dont mean much to me on a 50 inch round.

I was cross cutting another monster red oak Sunday 41 inch full comp eat it like it was nothing. I just dont see it. Now another reason I went with 3/8 is those cyclone wheels are to much to buy another one. Couple seconds either way really dont mean much to me on a 50 inch round.

3/8 will cut a narrower kerf ,more cutters, i guess both have there advantages and disadvantages but then would .325 cut faster than 3/8 ???

Do you use a different wheel for .404 ?, I'm using stone wheels here ,same for both 3/8 and .404

3/8 will cut a narrower kerf ,more cutters, i guess both have there advantages and disadvantages but then would .325 cut faster than 3/8 ???

Do you use a different wheel for .404 ?, I'm using stone wheels here ,same for both 3/8 and .404

Darn sure would give it a try........Now 880 would be dangerous. Lots of people trying with the 660 set-up. I see it like this if its faster in milling its going to be a good set-up in the cross as well. Other than cutter angels. With a 120cc saw using in trees it was made for (Not 8x8 or even 12x12) but Monster trees more cutter narrower kerf just makes sence to me.

I researched this a bit awhile back and went through a pile of old posts. The general consensus was 50/50 on which would cut faster. Even though the 3/8 chain has more cutters, the chain is moving slower since the rim is smaller in diameter in 3/8's. So I ran some numbers to see if the smaller diameter rim of the 3/8's chain, running more cutters, would actually pull more teeth through the cut than the .404 setup.

I won't bore you with the math, but on a 24 inch bar with the saw running 12,000rpm, it will pull 41,300 cutters through the cut (38 cutters on the chain) in one minute with .404 chain, and 42,400 cutters through the cut (42 cutters on the chain) in one minute with the 3/8 chain, both running 7 pin rims. That is so close, that the difference could simply be a slight error in my measurement of the chain.

I would imagine that it is probably more dependent on the saw (hp vs torque) and the type of wood it's cutting. I could be wrong, but I would bet you could run some live tests with different saws and different wood and get results going both directions.

Stihl40438.jpg

Last edited:
I researched this a bit awhile back and went through a pile of old posts. The general consensus was 50/50 on which would cut faster. Even though the 3/8 chain has more cutters, the chain is moving slower since the rim is smaller in diameter in 3/8's. So I ran some numbers to see if the smaller diameter rim of the 3/8's chain, running more cutters, would actually pull more teeth through the cut than the .404 setup.

I won't bore you with the math, but on a 24 inch bar with the saw running 12,000rpm, it will pull 41,200 cutters through the cut (38 cutters on the chain) in one minute with .404 chain, and 42,420 cutters through the cut (42 cutters on the chain) in one minute with the 3/8 chain, both running 7 pin rims. That is so close, that the difference could simply be a slight error in my measurement of the chain.

I would imagine that it is probably more dependent on the saw (hp vs torque) and the type of wood it's cutting. I could be wrong, but I would bet you could run some live tests with different saws and different wood and get results going both directions.

Stihl40438.jpg

Plenty of interesting info coming up. Guess I will have to run some tests. Might try 3/8 chain with 8 pin rim and 24" bar on the 088...

3/8 on the 088 should work fine. I would try an 8 pin rim to give a little more chain speed.

No right answer here, both cut wood fast when stuck in front of a big saw. Make sure you loosen the chain after cutting, with a hard nose bar the chain can heat up some while you are working and if you tighten a hot chain it will contract as it cools and can snap your crank at the rim drive.

Plenty of interesting info coming up. Guess I will have to run some tests. Might try 3/8 chain with 8 pin rim and 24" bar on the 088...

This is where I say north of 36 inch bar for me on a 880. Heck 24 inch bar I can cut weight very quickly by grabing a 460. I have no use for a 880 and a small bar.

Yeah, I would use a smaller saw for a 24" bar, but here's some more numbers on a 24" running a 3/8-8 rim at 12,000rpm.

7 pin 3/8" 42,400 cutters per minute through the cut
7 pin 404 41,300 cutters per minute through the cut
8 pin 3/8" 48,700 cutters per minute through the cut

Unfortunately, I can't test 8 pin .404 since the rim is too big to fit the nominal 24" chain (77DL) on my current setup.

Top to Bottom - .404-8, 3/8"-8, .404-7

Stihlrims5.jpg

Last edited:
wih a 36" bar I run .404 on my stock 088 and did so when my 880 was stock. I run 3/8 on my ported 880 and use a 9 pin for that, so a stock 088 should be running an 8 pin on 3/8. And as was mentioned, you probably will want to use .063. My 088 seems to have more pull than my 880 did when it was stock.

Smaller kerf will cut faster because the saw does not have to work as hard.

Chain speed at 12,000 rpm is meaningless because RPMs will adjust to load. I run a 7 pin 3/8 on my ported 084, it won't pull an 8 pin nearly as well.

Thinking about it now, 3/8 will be faster but subject to more damage, shorter life, and sharpening more frequently (probably much more).

Back