• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 088, pho - project or parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Abominable Snowman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought this from a local guy. He had replaced the flywheel and the piston. It was running at the time. I hadn't even put it in wood yet, and I managed to lean seized the engine. See photo - definitely a scored piston. It's also possible that something got scavenged into the cylinder, or possibly something wrong with the carb all along. This is beyond my level, so I had the local dealer look at it. They won't promise me a perfect saw without replacing the carb, p/c, and bearing. Given the uncertain history, I've had enough. It might be an easy fix, or it might be a parts saw. Well-used but not abused condition (scratches and scuffs, but no cracks or missing parts).

Power head only (but I do have a bar if that's a deal-breaker). Asking $450, split shipping costs. Open to all reasonable offers.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

hello
I am wondering if you have any extra parts for the 088, ms880? I know you already sold the saw. But,
I am putting together an ms880. So, I am looking for parts all over the place.
thanks
sean

Bought this from a local guy. He had replaced the flywheel and the piston. It was running at the time. I hadn't even put it in wood yet, and I managed to lean seized the engine. See photo - definitely a scored piston. It's also possible that something got scavenged into the cylinder, or possibly something wrong with the carb all along. This is beyond my level, so I had the local dealer look at it. They won't promise me a perfect saw without replacing the carb, p/c, and bearing. Given the uncertain history, I've had enough. It might be an easy fix, or it might be a parts saw. Well-used but not abused condition (scratches and scuffs, but no cracks or missing parts).

Power head only (but I do have a bar if that's a deal-breaker). Asking $450, split shipping costs. Open to all reasonable offers.

View attachment 512217
View attachment 512218 View attachment 512219

hello
I am wondering if you have any extra parts for the 088, ms880? I know you already sold the saw. But,
I am putting together an ms880. So, I am looking for parts all over the place.
thanks
sean
Drop @Jacob J. a pm. If he does not have any I would bet he can set you on the right path to finding them. And he's awesome to deal with.

Back