stihl 088 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemarty

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i loaned out my 088 to a freind. he used my gas, oil. he said he put it up running when done. next day he could not start it. so i went and got it, i could not start saw either. i checked plug, plug was fouled. i put new plug in no help. put wire spark checker on wire, showed good spark. put new plug in run for less than a min. smoked like a green fire. checked gap at flywhell, with credit card,ok. put new mix of gas in no help. Dont have book on saw. so i need gap for plug, flywheel.
and all the good free advice i can. thanks

joemarty wants to run with the big dogs.

don't know what he did to it but i think there is a large stihl virus going around notice that someone else is having the same problem.

OK it sounds like we have spark. Let's concentrate on the other basics. Does it have compression? Is the air filter clean? Is the exhaust screen open? Did the mix screws get turned? Make sure they are turned to the settings on the side of the saw. If no limiter caps give them a 1 1/4 turns out. If limiter caps are intact, check to make sure they are at what is on side of saw or in owners manual.
If still nothing, check for a plugged exhaust. Remove the muffler and check the exhaust port. Clean it if necessary.
Still nothing? Time to check carb internals. If you are brave enough to attack it, look for an inlet needle that is leaking OR a welch plug that has fallen out of the carb body.
Totally confused? Take it to a good dealer. Could be the cheapest way out.
Let us know the outcome.

Did your friend accidentally put bar oil in the fuel tank? This would quickly foul the plug. If you drained and re-filled the tank, there is still enough of the old fuel in the line and carb that the plug would foul again, maybe more than once. I'd drain the tank and rinse the tank with straight gas even pull the cord a few times on full choke with straight gas in the saw and NO PLUG! A fresh tank of pre-mix and a few new plugs will have you back in running order if bar oil was the problem to start with. If the saw starts after the flush don't rev it up right away let it idle for a few minutes to get rid of the questionable fuel.

Hi Joemarty, you are sure having your share of problems when it comes to saws. Have you been using it as axe again?
Hope you get off and cutting again soon. That Osage Orange does funny things to a saw.
John

ok muffler is clear. flushed old gas. put new gas in no help.compression is good, piston looks good. what is the gap for fly whell? is it creidt card for sure? what is plug gap. I have no book on the saw, it did not come with one. is the starting system life time warrntey?:angry:

Last edited:
No its not. You get a 90 day warranty with an 088, lifetime on the ignition coil. I think you have a carburetor problem. Quite likely a stuck needle valve, which would let too much gas into the saw. (hard to say without the saw in front of me.) The flywheel gap is not your problem. (how could that be changed) Pull the muffler and LOOK into the cylinder- just because you "have good compression" doesn't mean the piston isn't shot. (a bad seal would lean it out and sieze the saw, so would a leaky intake boot or impulse line.) Your best bet is to take it to a good dealer, who has all the equipment to test for an air leak, bad needle and so on. Remember, its not fixed until you know why it quit, and fix that.

Before tearing into the ignition try this, put a few drops of pre-mix down the carb and see if it starts. If it starts the ignition is o.k. If the saw was run completely out of fuel it could be air-bound. The diaphragm in the carb is a fuel pump, not an air pump. Completely plugging the carb and pulling the rope until the saw sputters will usually purge the air and get the diaphragm pumping fuel again. Quiz your friend, ask him EXACTLY what happened and in what order, the truth is out there!

ok i did this. i took carb off and cleaned carb. i took both plates off cleaned. the 4 bolt plates. I put it back on pull thur and pulled some more. the saw started for less than min and quite.i belive the carb is problem alot of gas can be smelled. now what?

joemarty smells like gas:confused:

Back inside the carb. Check inlet lever setting should be flush with floor of carb chamber. Lever should also spin freely on the steel pin that goes through it. Check for loose welch plugs. I emphasize the welch plug as I have seen some loose on this model. If you have access to a hand vacuum pump with a guage, attach it to the fuel inlet on the carb. Pump it up a little, it should hold vacuum.

Time for a trip to the saw shop. Where are you located? Maybe you're close someone who can help, but the saw shop is looking like your best bet.

put new plug in no help. no more spark at all. had friend hold plug wire while i puller thur. no oh sh## from him it must be died. i checked all wires, all look ok. But did find high rubed spot on fly whell. and mag has rubed makes to match. only on half of mag.:confused:

Check fuel line

I don't think anyone has mentioned checking the fuel line. If it's cracked/split than your sucking air and fuel. The saw will either not start or try and start then studder and quickly die out.

This is a very common problem.

Even if the plug looks new, pull it out and replace it with a used one out of a RUNNING Stihl saw. They all use the same plug. I just got my boss's 046 running by using the plug out of an old 025. The plug I took out of it looked new, but it's obviously bad. It's a Bosch, too. :( Those usually don't go bad.

no sparks, i have my dog hold spark plug in her mouth and i pull start rope. nothing no yelps, wimpers no nothing. my dogs name is sparky by the way. had wife try sme thing nothing, I always new she was numb.

joemarty cant get fire in her hole

Marty actually just made a typo and was refering to Hell Fire, as in Avgas and Alcohol. Marty, put that stinger on there and crank er' up!
John

Hi guys, I just found your group and I'm not up on Stihl saws, but maybe this might be the problem. Those of you that are up on the design of the Stihl can answer this question. Do Stihl saws use "reeds" between the carb and intake manifold? If so, depending on the material make up of them, you turn them over or replace them. Old Mac's have plastic reeds that over time, wear out at the tip of the "finger" not allowing the engine crankcase to build the needed pressure to start or stay running. Sometimes, they just warp and need to be turned over. Steel reeds will do this to over time also.

Latest posts

Back