stihl 088 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea, but the 088 is a piston-ported design.

I'd be interested to gear what the solution finally is. Sounds like a realy doozy.

Remove the switch wire from the coil and then try for spark. If still nothing, remove the coil and check the plug wire thoroughly. If this all checks out, get it to the dealer. That ignition is a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Don't buy an ignition if you don't have to.
PS the wire tab will have a lock on it. Use an awl through a hole on the tab to unlock it by pushing through the hole.

you tried a credit card? isnt that a little thick..?? try using a business card or cig package....
flywheel gap is about 10-12 thou on that saw is it not??
Plug gap 20 thou yep..
just put Roberts 088 together today with the same and it works fine...
Lifetime ignition warranty...
Seen plugs dead out of the box...
Hmm...

it would seem you got rooked by the guy you bought it from...lmao

i doug in to it deeper. and found coil is bad. so i took to my stihl dealer and he confrimed my coil is dead. so i am whating on coil. is there any after market coil out there that are better, cheaper?
So it looks like to keep this saw running i will need to have in tool bag is this.

1. spare plugs
2. spare needle bearings
3. air filters
4. coil
5. spare pull rope handle
6. grease, gas,oil
7. time to be down to work on it, wait for parts.

Kinda hard to get a cheaper coil than FREE. Stihltech said there's a lifetime warranty on the coil. You must have gotten a fluke bad one. Can't remember the last time I saw a saw with a bad coil.

I guess you need to fill me in.Is this a saw you bought used? Then you will have to pay for the coil. No, I do not believe there are any aftermarket coils. As far as longevity, I replace about 3 coils a year out of approx. 400 repairs. Sounds like a low failure rate to me.
Sometimes a dealer is the cheapest way to get a repair done.

Hey Marty, the ignition lead that goes into the coil is threaded on clockwise, check to see that it is fully seated into the coil.
Hope this helps,
John

been waiting 2 half weeks for 088 coil. got call today from stihl shop said coil is in buuttttt buuuuuttttttt you need a new flywhell.
it has lost its magnetism. whats up with that????????. 135.00 bucks.:angry:

Joe,
I do know that certain permanent magnets, when subjected to a high G shock (like being dropped on a cement floor) can lose their magnetism. No kidding! You could always test the magnet by holding a piece of iron or steel next to it and compare the attraction (if there is any) to a known good unit. Just a thought.

Back