Stihl 08S chain size help. Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boorman_p

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old Stihl 08S chainsaw. I have replaced a number of parts on it and it now runs perfectly. The problem is that the chain is blunt and in bad condition. The chain sprocket is also badly worn.
It was fitted with a 7 tooth .404 sprocket. and a 68 link chain. The blade or bar measure 20 inchs from the tip to where it goes into the body of the saw.

I have purchased a new sprocket but could only get a 8 tooth stihl sprocket for a 3/8 chain (sprocket has 3/8" stamped on it)

Now what I want to know is where can I get a new Stihl chain to fit my saw.
I would like a safety chain. I have been told I can run a 3/8" chain on the new sprocket and should run on the bar or blade. Remember that nthe original chain was a 0.404 pitch with 86 links.

What type of chain do I need and where can I buy one from.
How many links, what size, what pitch and gauge etc.
I am very confused with what chain I should fit?!!

Any help or advice would be good. We have good mechanical skills so any work required is not a problem.

thank you for your help

Kind Regards

Paul Boorman
www.jlbelectronics.com

Wow, 2 O8s questions in as many days!

My O8s has a new (ish, 4yrs lol) Stihl rollomatic ES 21" on it and it runs 3/8ths Oregon semi-chisel (?) chain on a seven tooth sprocket, I have not had issues with it though its about time to replace it, I guess I'll have to use an 8 tooth one by the sounds of it. The new bars have to be drilled for the oiler holes though. The groove is a 1.6mm slot and the chain has 75 drivers (two teeth on mine are on one side but it is not a problem, un-noticeable, and makes finding where you started sharpening a breeze), my teeth are filed at 35degrees and about 5-7 deg pitch (I eye-ball that part so it could even be close to ten but its consistent), I've not had a problem with this setup and am unsure if it is entirely correct (I am sure there are folks out there who know much more), but the drivers and the sprocket teeth seem to mesh just right and it cuts very well at around its rec'd RPM (ya ya, slow....but steady). I'd bring it into the nearest reputable saw shop and get them to match ya up, or ask one of the site sponsors who deal in Stihls they will for sure be able to give you the necessary specs. I am not sure if there's a lot of difference between Stihl chain and Oregon but I am very satisfied with Oregon chains and have used them on several different saws over the years, good tough stuff. I tried to search here for other answers for you but the search function doesn't seem to be functioning for me on this site (been that way for a while, what's up there guys?). If that wee beast has an old bull-nose bar on it get rid of it and take the plunge for a decent 18-21 inch roller tip one, you won't look back. Thats it for me limited knowledge, or lack-there-of. Let us know how it goes eh :)

:cheers:

Serge

I am a little curious why 'safety chain'? Its the operator that has to be the safe part, chisel cuts better imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back