Stihl 08S idle problem. Please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boorman_p

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Stihl 08S chainsaw.

This saw was working fine but then had a severe lack of power when revving up and would stall when used. We cleaned the carb etc and it was then working ok for a few hours with no problems. However it has now developed a problem where it will not idle. It revs up ok with lots of power and cuts through wood with no problem, it just will not idle

I have ordered and workshop manual so we can give it a complete service but I was hoping that someone out there has seen this problem and can shed some light on it.

Any helpful suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Probably is down to the carb. For starters have you got the LA screw (idle adjustment) set right?

Stihl 08 Idle problem

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
We have not adjusted the idle screw, but will hopefully set this up once we get the service manual. Is their a procedure to set this up? If so, is it easy enough to tell me here?

Thanks

Paul

Your carb has three adjustment screws on it; L, H and LA.

Both the L and H screws should start out about one full turn anti-clockwise from lightly seated. Lightly seated being fully (but gently) screwed all the way clockwise. Adjusting the LA idle is basically getting the saw to tick over smoothly without stalling or running the chain.

When you had the carb apart did you notice the condition of the diaphragm? Was it crinkley or baggy looking? Try the adjustments first, if it's still the same, it's probably worth throwing a carb repair kit on it. About £6-7.

Latest posts

Back