Stihl 090 Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levi of the North

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've acquired a rough but running Stihl 090. Can't say I've ever been scared by a chainsaw before, but this thing is a little frightening. What a beast.

First issue is - it needs a chain, and I'm not sure what size to buy, or if these old saws take the same chains as new saws? Bar is an Oregon model 17830 - Google isn't helping me determine specifically what length this is. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Hello all,

I've acquired a rough but running Stihl 090. Can't say I've ever been scared by a chainsaw before, but this thing is a little frightening. What a beast.

First issue is - it needs a chain, and I'm not sure what size to buy, or if these old saws take the same chains as new saws? Bar is an Oregon model 17830 - Google isn't helping me determine specifically what length this is. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great!
I’d need to know the next set of numbers/ letters to help with the bar, it should go ####(letter)####(two letters). The chain should be either 3/8 or .404, the bar will determine the number of dl‘s, the pitch, gauge, etc.

Interesting story behind this old beast. It was originally purchased by a rural municipality to cut down elm trees when the Dutch Elm disease was sweeping through Ontario. Later on, safety regulations barred it from being used by govt. employees because it lacked a chain brake. So the previous owner was told to "Take it home, but if [the boss] asks where it went, just say you borrowed it and bring it back"

Apparently the boss never asked about it, because 40 years later, the guy who brought it home has passed it on to me.

I have that kind of Oregon bar on my Contra. I think the first two digits represent bar length. So probably 25"

This is my bar on my Contra. It is 53cm long or 21"....so your bar is 25" long.
Second two digits represent year of manufacture (63)... I think

My second Contra has original 25" Stihl bar with 84 link chain (42 teeth)

So you need a 84 link chain with 1,6mm Gauge and 0.404" step (Husqvarna H57 chain)

Attachments

• 20201114_154244.jpg
    20201114_154244.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Back