Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott nelson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello to everyone

As you see I am new to this site and have a question

I recently purchased a used 090 (today while delivering a load of wood) the people were telling us about an old saw they had and didn’t use or need so we offered to purchase it.

Here is what I know; it is a 090 with a 58” bar measured end to end with a 404 chain. After a fresh tank of gas it fired on the 3rd pull and ran and idled perfectly. The saw sat for a little over a year after it was ran dry I took it today to my local dealer who check it out and said everything looks great to him. it needs a good cleaning as the picture was taken after we got it home.
there have been crack's in the side cover and the filter cover they have been repaired.

My question is what is this mean machine worth? (We are considering selling it)

We currently have;

051 av 42”
046 mag 20”
038 18”
Homelight xl with a 26”
Case 1850 skid steer with several attachments
1999 1 ton dump bed
leveco 20 hp stump grinder (for sale)

We have a firewood business and do dirt work in the summer

Thanks to everyone for your help

Hello to everyone

As you see I am new to this site and have a question

I recently purchased a used 090 (today while delivering a load of wood) the people were telling us about an old saw they had and didn’t use or need so we offered to purchase it.

Here is what I know; it is a 090 with a 58” bar measured end to end with a 404 chain. After a fresh tank of gas it fired on the 3rd pull and ran and idled perfectly. The saw sat for a little over a year after it was ran dry I took it today to my local dealer who check it out and said everything looks great to him. it needs a good cleaning as the picture was taken after we got it home.
there have been crack's in the side cover and the filter cover they have been repaired.

My question is what is this mean machine worth? (We are considering selling it)

We currently have;

051 av 42”
046 mag 20”
038 18”
Homelight xl with a 26”
Case 1850 skid steer with several attachments
1999 1 ton dump bed
leveco 20 hp stump grinder (for sale)

We have a firewood business and do dirt work in the summer

Thanks to everyone for your help

Maybe it's an optical illusion however, I have a question. If it's a 50+ inch bar with the saw head attached, why is it only as long as the width of a pick-up truck? That's either an awfully wide pick-up, the bar wasn't measured correctly or something is very wrong.

Welcome to ArboristSite! Nice find. Hard to give a price with just one picture and without knowing the compression numbers. But, if you want to start off on the right foot in this forum, you'll offer to us first and not Ebay.;)

well to be honest i am not completely sure how to measure. i removed to bar and chain and measued the enitre lengh of the bar and it was 58" it is actually hanging off the end of the tailgate about 4-6 inches. i have attached a few more pictures

well to be honest i am not completely sure how to measure. i removed to bar and chain and measued the enitre lengh of the bar and it was 58" it is actually hanging off the end of the tailgate about 4-6 inches. i have attached a few more pictures

Like I said, it must have been an optical illusion from the angle or the type of lens. Perhaps it's just me!:dizzy:

That saw is made of hazardous materials and needs to be disposed of at an approved facility ASAP. It just so happens there is one very close to me and since I'm such a nice guy I'll handle it for you. Just ship it to me and all will be good. :D

200.00 dang i knew i got the shaft from this sneaky old lady
:cry:

as for compression numbers i will have to take it back to the shop and have them check it..

gonna go see how good this thing is tomorrow

actually that saw in good running condition all cleaned up should bring around 800-1200$ have seen them go for more on ebay tho...

if we do decide to sell i doubt we will go the ebay route. I will probably list it here. so if we were to have paid somewhere around lets say 300.00 for this we did ok?:jawdrop:

if we do decide to sell i doubt we will go the ebay route. I will probably list it here. so if we were to have paid somewhere around lets say 300.00 for this we did ok?:jawdrop:

Cleaned up... I'd say it's a $350-$450 saw on ebay. Maybe as much as $600 if painted and broken parts fixed / replaced.

The wolves are circling..........................................:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice find regardless of the appearance.:cheers:

Back