Stihl 090G Rebuild - Stumpy Charity Auction starts Tues. Dec,27th ends Sat, Feb 11th

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill's just mad cuz they caught him "Riding Dirty"!

Well you are true. I am facing a bit of jail time based on my temper but I sure as hell was not in the hood. I have no use for that **** :msp_mad: and my temper did flare thus I made a stupid decision. Now I am paying the price

Last edited:
Well you are true. I am facing a bit of jail time based on my temper but I sure as hell was not in the hood. I have no use for that **** :msp_mad: and my temper did flare thus I made a stupid decision. Now I am paying the price

Here's my pimp ride!
This is how you ride dirty! Northeast landing style!
Ya, my truck is what i roll in. LOL!!!

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

NO HATERS!!!!!!!!!!

I've got offers to weld up the handle and braze the muffler:clap: I just ordered the rest of the parts from the dealer. If I'm lucky, I'll have them tomorrow. In hoping to have the saw running tonight.

What's the minimum ring end gap? I've only got about .009". That's tighter than most that I see.

There was always a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 "Cherry Jubilee" under the passenger's seat

Uggh... unpleasant memories. When I was I think 18, a buddy and I attempted to drink the entire Mad Dog "rainbow" in one night. We lined 'em up in the fridge starting with the one that looked like antifreeze, and worked our way toward the relative safety of grape. We only made it halfway. That hang-over was truly "The Gift That Kept On Giving". I still don't know how I survived. Haven't touched a fortified wine since.

About that 090......

Pacity, did you believe there to be something wrong with the ignition? I noticed there was a condenser in the bag of parts. The saw had spark before I tore it down.

Fraser always carries an extra condenser with him when he's in the woods. He doesn't want to pack out because of a silly thing like a condenser.

Actually true story, I worked with an old-time cutter back in the late 90's who told me he would pack an extra cylinder and piston
for his Pioneer P-61 when he was running the Pioneers. When I asked him why, he said "You don't want to pack out just because
you burned up a piston!"

First of all!

Pacity is good people for sure!!
And to have Brad do it up makes a great combo!
Between Brads in-depth detail and mechanics, it will turn out great for all!!
If parts are needed for this project drop me a line. Will help if I can.

NOTE, There is no such 090GS from the factory
But a Stihl factory 66mm top end is a bonus!!

I know Poulan has sold saws with larger top ends than advertised. My dad had a 3400 that turned out to be a 4000. I only found that out after tring to order new rings for it. Is it possible Stihl might have ran short on the smaller top end and just swapped in a larger one?

I know Poulan has sold saws with larger top ends than advertised. My dad had a 3400 that turned out to be a 4000. I only found that out after tring to order new rings for it. Is it possible Stihl might have ran short on the smaller top end and just swapped in a larger one?

I don`t think that ever happened, Nic. All the geardrives were initally powered by the 070 P&C but the loggers wanted more power so the certified dealers would swap out the P&C`s to make them 090 powered units. I have it on a good bit of authority that Stihl knew the dealers were doing this and may have given them a wink or a nodd but never officially sanctioned the practice.

Brad I deal alot with wiseco, the boys there say anything between .008-.012 is acceptable.
Id say if you only have .009 the motor , atleast the rings are fairly new :smile2:

Brad I deal alot with wiseco, the boys there say anything between .008-.012 is acceptable.
Id say if you only have .009 the motor , atleast the rings are fairly new :smile2:

These are new rings. I was just wondering if I needed to gap them a little more. The original rings were frozen in the grooves and didn't look to have any more gap than these. Both were broken removing them.

Last edited:
This is a beast of a saw. Brad, looks like it's cleanin up good. Nice work man!!!!

This will go a long way to help our buddy out...

Brad,
Next day that muffler to me and I will show that I bleed 1106!
Stumpy, (red-orange-white) is were it is at!

Brad I will have it back in time for you to test it and list ASAP!
Now is a good time with the limit amount of 090G on any forums or eBay!

Yeah there's stories out there about that Chevy Blazer. There was always a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 "Cherry Jubilee"
under the passenger's seat and it smelled like Vanilla little tree air fresheners and Old Spice...

I used to spike the MD 20/20 with more everclear and it made for some terrific headaches and dizziness for all involved the next day...:biggrin:

Thats a nice 090G! Wish I could help with parts, but I never even owned a chain that would fit that saw.

Latest posts

Back