Stihl 090G Rebuild - Stumpy Charity Auction starts Tues. Dec,27th ends Sat, Feb 11th

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i want to thank you brad for taking this old filthy saw on. on the 66mm bore, i knew it was. i posted that back right after i found it. and sorry for it needing so much. it was a saw that would have gotten to some day but i thought it would do more good now than later. thanks again and don't loose too much sleep over it. what comes around go's around.

I would like to shake your hand one of these days.

Any guesses on what kind of money that 090g is going to bring from ebay? I know I will be bidding and be out bid.

Big bucks! I'm sure this one is going to turn out GREAT, and will be on top of it as soon as it hits the auction block. Very excited to see this saw being auctioned off. There are some incredible folks on this sight to say the least!

The muffler was loose in the vid. I've since removed it to send it off to be repaired. The L sounds like it was a little lean yet.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f4iVnK2EGaI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had to borrow the recoil from my 090G since I painted the one for this saw and it's not dry yet. I wanted to leave it all original, but the started looked way worse than the rest of the saw.
IMG8352-M.jpg

IMG8353-M.jpg

I'll be painting the Stihl letters silver.
IMG8354-L.jpg

Here are a couple of shots as it was going together.
IMG8351-M.jpg

IMG8350-M.jpg

The carb will be coming back off. I threw in a couple old diaphragms that I had on the shelf. New ones will be installed. I also had to jury rig the fuel line. I don't have that size hose here and the new piece I ordered isn't here yet. I also had to block off the oil pump impulse fitting until that hose comes in.

I found a few more parts that I'll be needing. Pacity, do you happen to have the bracket that bolts the left side of the handle to the bottom of the case? I also need the hardware for the top bolt. Finally, the throttle lock is missing. The handle is threaded where it looks like an assembly would screw in. Anyone have any of these parts before I try to order them?

paccity would give you the shirt off his back, i have a shirt to prove it.
So what was your'e excuse in that facebook pic? With no shirt? If it wasn't for the saw I woulda mistook you fro a tree hugger trying to take a break from the heat LOL! Good pic Randy! Paccity my friend REP sent. That is a hell of a donation to say the least. Kind of like donating the lost ark! You are a friend indeed!

I have never really cared for old saws but this one has my attention!

Looks really good Brad. I wish I had the skill set and the patience to restore a saw like that.

Any guesses on what kind of money that 090g is going to bring from ebay?

I'm going to guess $1500-$2500. As unique as this saw is, I've tried to leave it add original as possible. I hated to paint the recoil, but it really took away from the rest of the saw. It was covered with light surface corrosion that was colored brown.

I just ordered the last of the parts from the dealer. Hopefully they won't be on backorder. I did not have time to get the handle and muffler ready to mail out. It was another 1 AM night. So far I've put about 12 hours in this saw in the last two days, after I got home from my day job, lol. I will be sending them out tomorrow via USPS Priority Mail. Hopefully they'll get there before the holiday break.

Last edited:
brad, good on you. seeing and earing the old girl run sure brings a grin to me . on your questions , the condensor was a cheap just because. and sorry on the bracket and bolts. that is how i got the saw and hadn't got to the point of even noticing that they where gone . the funny thing about the saw is when i walk in to the shop i see a emtie spot on the shelf and i panic for a second. and thankyou again for your time on getting this uo to snuff. someones going to have a grin on there face when they get it . and i hope it's an A/S member. p.s. i would like to thank everyone else that has helped out on this saw. a bunch of good soul's. thank's . fraser...

Last edited:
That GS is looking GREAT. I would say it will go on the upper end of your Ebay estimate Brad, I know it will receive a lot of attention on the bay from fellow AS members. Hard saw to estimate, but with the cause- I believe it will bring some guys that wouldnt have normally bid on it, into the sale. I know I will be after it, and I am not really into the G's (although they are magnificent saws).

another way to look at wether or not it,s a factory bigbore or not , is to look at the the musele cars from the 60's and 70's . some of the most valueable one's came to the dealer stock the the dealer built the car up with the go fast stuff from the factory. so like what was said before about the topend being added at the dealer would make sence.

incredible generosity by paccity and Brad as well as others. I'd love to rep ya all again, but my gun is empty. Sort of a dumb rule that you have to rep 75 others before you can rep a member again, but rules is rules. This is great. JR

You might not have much luck on getting those parts from the dealer. :(
-The lower handlebar support (1109 791 1900) became NLA from the factory in 2001.
-The screw in throttle lock is the early version, used on Contras also I believe, it isn't listed in the updated 090 IPLs. I think the part number is 1106 180 1600, NLA 1997. If you can't get one you can make an adaptor that will screw in and then use the newer style throttle lock, M12 x 1.5mm threads IIRC. Wouldn't be original though.
-The top handlebar mount thrust washer, bolt etc you should be able to get.

Latest posts

Back