Stihl 090G Rebuild - Stumpy Charity Auction starts Tues. Dec,27th ends Sat, Feb 11th

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to give a general rep here on this site for all participants? :msp_thumbsup:

Maybe some Mod can come by and help me out.

Brad, I will supply the:
-badass rim sprocket
-duromatic bar
-rims (all needed)
-and chains for each

This should make a NICE package.

The wife sanctioned all this since stumpy has Mastiffs!

I think he stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park. Thanks man.

I have not read through the Stumpy thread completely. Are you guys are doing another charity auction, I would wait until tax time to do it. Right now many folks are Christmas broke. There is alot of value here with a perfect 090G and the bars etc. I doubt very many folks have $2500+ to throw at it this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad, I will supply the:
-badass rim sprocket
-duromatic bar
-rims (all needed)
-and chains for each

This should make a NICE package.

The wife sanctioned all this since stumpy has Mastiffs!

That's one cool donation Matt. I can find something cool to throw in as well.

You guys are absolutely OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe the generosity! This is awesome.

I've got a serious issue though. I cannot get the existing sprocket off, short of cutting it off. Trust me, I've tried! None of my pullers can get behind it. The service manual mentions a puller, but I'm sure they're unobtanium. I hate to trash a good sprocket. Anyone have a puller that would work, or some other idea?

I have not read through the Stumpy thread completely. Are you guys doing another charity auction? If auction, I would wait until tax time to do it. Right now many folks are Christmas broke. There is alot of value here with a perfect 090G and the bars etc. I doubt very many folks have $2500+ to throw at it this time of year.

The plan has been to Ebay it. Howwever, I've considered what you're saying on the shortage of funds at this time of year. Also, I'd LOVE to see someone on this forum get this saw. You know, kind of like keeping it in the family. How about an auction right here on AS? Or, would that get too sticky? We don't want this saw to end up causing any hard feelings amongst ourselves. Anyone got any ideas? Personally, I'd want to see a reserve of $1500. I feel the saw is worth somewhere between $1500-$2500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me what you guys think. Would it be worth purchasing a 36" hard nose or roller nose bar and 1/2" chain for this saw before selling it? I can borrow the B&C from my 090G to make test cuts and a vid to sell it with. But, how might it affect the selling price with the saw missing the bar and hard to find 1/2" chain?

Go .404 and 36" Hardnose

I see you have a problem with pullers Brad but you are also required to heat the G sprocket off as per the Stihl workshop manual.

The manual specifies a puller for removal, and heat for installation. I already tried heat for removal, but don't have the needed puller. I may just have to sacrifice one of mine and grind the ends down so that they can get behind it. Rather than risk damaging the saw, I just gave up on it, not thinking it was going to be replaced anyway. It almost looks like the key is partially sheared, really locking that bad boy on there. Either that, or the key isn't as wide as the keyway.

Surely one of the "C" type jaw pullers could get behind it?
Like this;
professional-14-piece-gear-and-bearing-puller-splitter-set-new.jpg

My info says the OEM 1109 890 4401 puller became NLA from 1998.

The plan has been to Ebay it. Howwever, I've considered what you're saying on the shortage of funds at this time of year. Also, I'd LOVE to see someone on this forum get this saw. You know, kind of like keeping it in the family. How about an auction right here on AS? Or, would that get too sticky? We don't want this saw to end up causing any hard feelings amongst ourselves. Anyone got any ideas? Personally, I'd want to see a reserve of $1500. I feel the saw is worth somewhere between $1500-$2500.

Put me down for $1500. Just dont tell my wife.

Lets keep it in the family. To heck with Ebay. Might get more money but I almost doubt it. This thing is going to be too sweet to let some stranger get it, at least anyone stranger than me.

Heat the pee out of the PTO side.
Grab it and pull! You might have to try the heat several times to work.
They are put on to stay! Just have to help it.
Heat-heat-heat! And a little pressure!

Order a PTO drive (final drive) seal!
The heat will trash it!

Or pack the seal area in thin cotton fabric strips! LOL!!
Actually got in a 090g that was done that way! Didn't notice it till I swapped gears,
It was a nice field repair!!!!!

I would love to see this saw auctioned off here on AS!

I think this saw could build at least $2,500 in donations at a minimum based on how the mission backpack saw has done both times.

Brad, what do you have handy for a welder? I can walk you through building a puller if you're so inclined.

You need and extension nut, ready rod, some scrap mild strap, some small nuts and bolts, and an old lawnmower blade.

Back