Stihl 090G Rebuild - Stumpy Charity Auction starts Tues. Dec,27th ends Sat, Feb 11th

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, what do you have handy for a welder? I can walk you through building a puller if you're so inclined.

You need and extension nut, ready rod, some scrap mild strap, some small nuts and bolts, and an old lawnmower blade.

I have a decent little mig.

I could pick up a cheap 2-3 jaw puller, but I doubt the jaws can get behind the gear. It's very close to the case. Perhaps I can grind them down, and hopefully not break them off.

I have a decent little mig.

I could pick up a cheap 2-3 jaw puller, but I doubt the jaws can get behind the gear. It's very close to the case. Perhaps I can grind them down, and hopefully not break them off.

That's what the lawnmower blade is for, to make your own pulling arms. What's the clearance you have ? 1/8", 3/16"?

Actually, make your own arms out of the blade, and match them to one of your existing puller bodies.

I can call and walk you through it if'n ya want.

brad. maybe it,s time to sacrifice that sprocket. dremell and split it. it,s a shame but there seems to be plenty of the 1/2" sprockets around. as far as moding a puller goes i've got a drawer full of one off pullers i've had to make over the years. sorry that things being a pain.

That's what the lawnmower blade is for, to make your own pulling arms. What's the clearance you have ? 1/8", 3/16"?

Actually, make your own arms out of the blade, and match them to one of your existing puller bodies.

I can call and walk you through it if'n ya want.

I'll take all the help I can get! I just don't want to mess up this saw. I've put heat to it, but don't want to burn up the finish. I haven't tried a proper puller yet though. Between the two, it should come off. Taking a cutoff wheel and splitting it is sounding mighty inviting about right now. PM me your number and maybe I can give you a call this evening.

Hey, you know that 'pecking tool' that comes in cheap air tool kits, that most people dont know what it's for?

It's for pulling things. Peck on it, spray WATER on it, and it will come off. :)

Unbelieveable I know, but true.

Gotta run to the airport.

Brad with heat, you just need pressure.
Not necessarily a puller.

If you end up grinding it off, shield the case.

If you have a mig, tab weld 3 spot and pull from there, then clean off the tabs when off.

As parrisw once told me, just pull it off!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
just read this from start to finish and WOW! the people here are amazing donating all the parts and brad donating all the hard work this site and the wonderful people here are what makes me stay glued to it:hmm3grin2orange: wish i had some parts to give or some money to buy this monster and help out a fellow member... i hope someone here gets this thing and appriciates its history and the cause behind it ,,,happy holidays to all:rock:

Lets keep it in the family. To heck with Ebay. Might get more money but I almost doubt it. This thing is going to be too sweet to let some stranger get it, at least anyone stranger than me.

I would love to see this saw auctioned off here on AS!

I think this saw could build at least $2,500 in donations at a minimum based on how the mission backpack saw has done both times.
I know my vote don't count for much and it should ultimately be up to the guys that are dontaing the saw,parts and labor to decide how to do it, but I would also like to see it go to a AS member

I'll take all the help I can get! I just don't want to mess up this saw. I've put heat to it, but don't want to burn up the finish. I haven't tried a proper puller yet though. Between the two, it should come off. Taking a cutoff wheel and splitting it is sounding mighty inviting about right now. PM me your number and maybe I can give you a call this evening.

I still got ya programmed in. . . Unless you changed your number?

I will get a picture of my Bar and chain donation up here after lunch,

Just sitting here chomping at the bit to do a "Steve Austin" job on the muffler,
"I have the technology"!

Muffler arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(odd I am excited! Most off the time 090G's and 090G parts NEVER leave!!! LOL)
Will jump right on it and keep all posted!

Muffler arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(odd I am excited! Most off the time 090G's and 090G parts NEVER leave!!! LOL)
Will jump right on it and keep all posted!

I hope this one leaves.........in better condition than it arrived! Pretty ate up isn't it? I hope you can do something with it. Thanks again for your help and donations!!! BTW, I'm looking forward to the pics.

I hope this one leaves.........in better condition than it arrived! Pretty ate up isn't it? I hope you can do something with it. Thanks again for your help and donations!!! BTW, I'm looking forward to the pics.

Easy fix Brad!
Just time and brazing sticks!!!
May split it and clean-repair it from the inside, will see here in a hour or so how bad the rust penetrated!
Either way she will be good to go!

Brad, send me a Pm if you want me to make arms for your puller, I can box them with your hook. This weekend is shot for playing with steel, but they can be in the mail by next week.

I'd just need some basic dimensions.

Back