Stihl 180 or 210

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawnordie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted the below question on a different section of the site and was requested to move it to here for more information:

I'm looking at two saws, the Stihl MS 180 C-BE and the MS 210. I'm new to chainsaws but my research and dealer conversations have lead me to one of these two. The 180 has the easy start and easy bar adjustment bells and whistles while the 210 is your basic saw with no extras. The 180 has a 14 inch bar while the 210 has a little bigger engine and a 16 inch bar. I recently found out that they both produce the same HP.

The intended use is light cutting of felled trees for splitting for firewood and light trimming of branches around the house. I will most likely NOT be cutting down trees. I'm guessing the max diameter of the felled trees may be up to 16 inches (maybe). I'm only intending on cutting up to a cord (max) per year so I don't think this would even qualify for light use. These saws are the same price at my dealer so the question is:

Small with options or bigger and plain??

Thanks to all for helping me out with my first post!!

I went through the same thing. Walked in thinking I needed a 180 C-BE, walked out with a 210. Why?

210 is a bit better built (so I was told)

210 doesn't bog down quite as easily

210 comes with a better chain (Picco vs Picco Micro Mini)

210 has metal dogs; 180 has plastic dogs

210 and 180 are about identical in overall size, with the bar cover on. Weights are pretty close too.

210 has the same quick removal caps, air-filter setup, etc. as the bigger saws (it's in the same "family" as the 230 and 250)

C-BE options are gimmicky and supposedly more complex/troublesome from a reliability and repair perspective

Look at all the bigger saws, and pro saws. You won't see any quick start or easy chain adjust features on them. I figured it was better to stick with the tried-and-true standard chain adjuster and starter. These saws are easy to start anyway, and the chain adjustment is quick and easy too. No need for the extra fluff.

210 gives you a 16" bar standard; 180 is a 14" bar, although these are easy enough to swap out.

Whichever one you end up with, you'll still soon realize you need a bigger saw, like a....361! :D But then your 180 or 210 will make a nice backup/limbing saw. :D

Last edited:
I would choose the 210 over the 180 because it DOESN'T have the "bells and whistles", has the larger displacement engine, and runs 3/8 .050 low profile chain rather than the 3/8 .043. The weight difference is only .4#.

In that these are both small displacement, low hp saws, they are best suited to 12" and smaller wood.

My Stihl dealer steered me away from the 250 and smaller saws for cutting firewood, and to the MS290. That was only half a favor. Its definitely more powerful, but also heavy. At least it has an adjustable carb on it. In retrospect, I wish that he had extolled the virtues of the MS260.

Actually, the 180 is a pretty zippy little saw, and I would have to vote for it.
The quick chain adjust works great. And I like the construction of the 180 better.

Thank you all for the comments. I'm looking at these two saws because of the price (under 250 each), that is why currently not considering anything bigger. If I thought I would cut anything bigger than what I posted (or cut more volume) I'd step up in size. I think the good news is that both saws are good saws.

Anyone else care to chime in??

Thank you all for the comments. I'm looking at these two saws because of the price (under 250 each), that is why currently not considering anything bigger. If I thought I would cut anything bigger than what I posted (or cut more volume) I'd step up in size. I think the good news is that both saws are good saws.

I commented on the Stihls because that is what you were inquiring about. I'm also assuming that you want to buy from your local dealer for support. Other choices would be the small Husqvarnas or Jonsereds.

If you would be comfortable without a local dealer, or have a local Dolmar dealer, I would choose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKITA-BRAND-NE...itemZ380039100831QQihZ025QQcategoryZ20538QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a GREAT saw, and BARGAIN priced as they are the previous model. It has a fully adjustable carb, compression release, and magnesium cases. This is the Dolmar PS-401 in blue. It is also lighter than the small Stihls, larger displacement, and more hp. The new model weighs more thanks to the EPA.

OOPS, I just commented on your thread on the other section. I see you want to spend 250 or less, the MS250 is more so that knocks it out of the race.

I commented on the Stihls because that is what you were inquiring about. I'm also assuming that you want to buy from your local dealer for support. Other choices would be the small Husqvarnas or Jonsereds.

If you would be comfortable without a local dealer, or have a local Dolmar dealer, I would choose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKITA-BRAND-NE...itemZ380039100831QQihZ025QQcategoryZ20538QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a GREAT saw, and BARGAIN priced as they are the previous model. It has a fully adjustable carb, compression release, and magnesium cases. This is the Dolmar PS-401 in blue. It is also lighter than the small Stihls, larger displacement, and more hp. The new model weighs more thanks to the EPA.

I use personally the MS180 and am very happy with it but we don't have these very good above mentioned ebay deals.
I don't have the extras on the 180 and don't believe that they are in anyway important for productive work. I adjust my chain tension if needed. I don't have problems with losening chains during work. When I refill a quick pull on the chain and I know if a retension is needed.

Another thread here is discussing the pro/cons of the husqvarna 136, which I also believe to be an excellent homeowner saw.

These are all in the 200-250$ class.

7sleeper

Last edited:
OOPS, I just commented on your thread on the other section. I see you want to spend 250 or less, the MS250 is more so that knocks it out of the race.

The MS250 is/was right at $300 + 6% here in central Pa with 16", but would be worth the difference over the MS180 or MS210, IMO. The one that I ran seemed pretty strong for 45cc.

I use personally the MS180 and am very happy with it but we don't have these very good above mentioned ebay deals.
I don't have the extras on the 180 and don't believe that they are in anyway important for productive work. I adjust my chain tension if needed. I don't have problems with losening chains during work. When I refill a quick pull on the chain and I know if a retension is needed.

Another thread here is discussing the pro/cons of the husqvarna 136, which I also believe to be an excellent homeowner saw.

These are all in the 200-250$ class.

7sleeper

yes, and the video of the Husqvarna 36/136 shows the saw's capability in that wood

options, options, too many options!

Nothing against the Husky's, I'd like to stick with Stihls because I like the dealer (and the company I work with deals with them for our generator servicing).

I'll have to check with them to see what their price on the MS250 is.

The other thing I'm concerned with is safety. Since this will be my first chainsaw, and it will not be used a great deal, I want to make sure I get one I can learn on easily and won't get into trouble with. That said, would it be better to have a saw with a little less power? I own a lot of power tools and have experience with power tools but I've worked as a safety manager for two different large companys so I'm always thinking that way out of habit.

I was also disapointed that Stihl put a plastic dwag on it but the dealer said no problem and took it from another saw, mounted it onto my saw and said he'll order new ones for the other saw.
I read here on AS that they cost ~6$, so I would have paid for them. I have read many complaints on german chainsaw/forestry forums about the quickrelease tankcaps.
I don't have any personal experience with them so I don't know.

7sleeper

180, 210, C, B, E... whatever you choose, it's a Stihl and it'll get the job done quite nicely. It'll be better than any box store or Craftsman saw, and if you really get into wood cutting or hang out here very long, it won't be your last chainsaw purchase.

As for safety, both the 180 and 210 are small enough to keep the beginner out of trouble. Just follow the safety guidlines in your manual. The safety features on the saw, including the low kickback chain help reduce your risk too. You should consider spending a few bucks on PPE gear (chaps, gloves, helmet, eye protection, etc.) You'll be fine.

options, options, too many options!

Nothing against the Husky's, I'd like to stick with Stihls because I like the dealer (and the company I work with deals with them for our generator servicing).

I'll have to check with them to see what their price on the MS250 is.

The other thing I'm concerned with is safety. Since this will be my first chainsaw, and it will not be used a great deal, I want to make sure I get one I can learn on easily and won't get into trouble with. That said, would it be better to have a saw with a little less power? I own a lot of power tools and have experience with power tools but I've worked as a safety manager for two different large companys so I'm always thinking that way out of habit.

I understand you very well!! I am a doctor and I know the problems of inexperienced people working with powertools. I prefer taking a little longer with a less powerful tool. If you are in a hurry to cut up the wood please do something else!
Do not forget to buy ppe = personal protection equipment. That is just as important as a saw and it will set you off another 100-150$.
That should always be included into your purchasing budget!
NEVER FORGET 100$ for ppe or your leg, eye or anything else.

7sleeper

I understand you very well!! I am a doctor and I know the problems of inexperienced people working with powertools. I prefer taking a little longer with a less powerful tool. If you are in a hurry to cut up the wood please do something else!
Do not forget to buy ppe = personal protection equipment. That is just as important as a saw and it will set you off another 100-150$.
That should always be included into your purchasing budget!
NEVER FORGET 100$ for ppe or your leg, eye or anything else.

7sleeper
I definately 2nd the PPE part. I've seen some videos that someone posted here showing a leg of pig? getting shredded by a saw. Definately wasn't pretty. I originally was going to spend all my money on the saw, but instead invested $150 on chaps/gloves/pro forest hat for protection. $150 is very cheap compared to an ER bill.
OT but as I'm a doc here too and chopping up wood is one of my favorite pasttimes. I get tired of wielding a wimpy little scalpel and have to be so delicate when cutting tissue. It's such a relief to rev up my saw over 12K RPMS and rip into some wood with chips flying everywhere! :chainsaw:
Maybe I should've been orthopedist lol. Then agan I wouldn't have the time to run my landscaping company too...

Last edited:
Where did my second thread go????

What did I say wrong????

Never mind, I guess. No sense typing it again........................

I'm not too found of the 210 or 230 since they're are the same weight as the 250 but with less power. My choice would have been between the 250 and the 180, and as you can see in my sig I own the 250. OTOH, I've also chosen a few other saws since then...

The quick chain adjuster and the easy2start works great, they were main selling points to me at the time, but my preferences has changed, and today I would prefer to save, if ever so little, what could be saved in money and weight instead.

If you don't want to pay the extra dollars for the 250 over the 210, I think at least I would prefer to enjoy the low weight of the 180 more than regretting not getting the extra power of the 250...

Back