Stihl 2 in 1 versus the husqvarna kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whats the better option for a guy new to doing his own chains the 2 in 1 looks easy but so dose the husky kit with the roller jig that sits on the bar. Who has used both and what did you think? Thank you

2 in 1 is a good place to start if your learning to hand file, and works on stihl chains.
its pretty fool proof, and does the depth gauge at the same time.
however after you become proficient, you may realise its limitations.

husky roller guide is better, and works on some carlton/ oregon chains, along with the chinga knock off chains, obviously also on husky chains, but there is a different version for the x cut chain.
each guide is gauge specific for 3/8p, .325, 3/8, 404 etc.

Once you appreciate what makes a chain sharp, and you can pass the file across the cutter in a straight pass, and give a good edge, you can then start to look at changing the height of the file and lifting it up higher to give less hook and more durabilty, or drop the file to give more hook, or change the top angle, more angle gives sharper edge, but less durable, its a trade off, but you can tune the chain to the timber your cutting.
Chain out of the box is a compromise and all round starting point, and will cut, but you can make it cut better to suit your timber after some trial and error.
Thus looking at what Mad Professor posted up.
Also progressive depth gauge tools are a must for your chain too.

personally I like the husky roller guides, they are quick and easy to use, and when your tired still keep the file where it needs to be, but they dont work so well on stihl chains due to the differences in cutter geometry between the two brands.

2 in 1 is a good place to start if your learning to hand file, and works on stihl chains.
its pretty fool proof, and does the depth gauge at the same time.
however after you become proficient, you may realise its limitations.

husky roller guide is better, and works on some carlton/ oregon chains, along with the chinga knock off chains, obviously also on husky chains, but there is a different version for the x cut chain.
each guide is gauge specific for 3/8p, .325, 3/8, 404 etc.

Once you appreciate what makes a chain sharp, and you can pass the file across the cutter in a straight pass, and give a good edge, you can then start to look at changing the height of the file and lifting it up higher to give less hook and more durabilty, or drop the file to give more hook, or change the top angle, more angle gives sharper edge, but less durable, its a trade off, but you can tune the chain to the timber your cutting.
Chain out of the box is a compromise and all round starting point, and will cut, but you can make it cut better to suit your timber after some trial and error.
Thus looking at what Mad Professor posted up.
Also progressive depth gauge tools are a must for your chain too.

personally I like the husky roller guides, they are quick and easy to use, and when your tired still keep the file where it needs to be, but they dont work so well on stihl chains due to the differences in cutter geometry between the two brands.
Thank you I have mostly oregon chains a few stihl and a few farmertec china ones.

I like the husky one better if im at home using the vice to hold the saw.
When im out in the woods with the atv and saw, I like the stihl 2 in 1 much better. I find I can use the 2 in 1 on a stump or the rack of the atv much easier. I hold the saw still with one hand and run the 2 in 1 with the other.

None are foolproof to where you don't have to pay attention. If you push too hard down with the 2n1 you can take the rakers down too far. The husky is nice and small and you cna see what's going on, teaches muscle memory, and gives options for raker height.

Latest posts

Back