Stihl 201 T problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilkySamurai

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with Stihl's new 201 T? I bought one a few months back and it had problems right away, it doesn't spin the chain when I throttle the saw. I had to feather the throttle to get the chain spinning and sometimes that wouldn't even work. It's been sitting at the shop now waiting for warranty parts. Yesterday I had a job that I needed it for so had to go buy another one of the exact same saws...damn thing does the exact same thing. I have saws from the 880 down to the 192 and have never had a problem with any of them aside from normal wear and tear. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is a tunning issue with these saws and if you dig around on the search function here you will find a thread about modifying the 201T

Welcome to AS!

Sounds like you know your way around saws by listing your other saws.

Did your dealer prep the saw?

Yeah they set it up and ran it before I left. My dealer works on tons of saws, does hundreds for the state forestry. He did some work to the first one and said that it was in need of warranty parts and agreed that it was running like a dog. Bought all but 2 of my saws from them and they've all been great. Weird that both of the identical saws have the same symptoms.

From what I have seen here none of the 201Ts run correctly from the factory. That is why people are paying a premium for new 200Ts.

With proper modifications the 201T will be stronger than the 200T from what a few members have done to them here. Brad Snelling is a guy that you can send it to and he will make the changes for a reasonable amount. He has had great results with them.

Out of the box there pretty much dogs. Also take awhile to break in. There's a fix though. Your dealers not going to do it either. First off there's a few threads on here explaining what to do. I have a few of the 201s and love mine. But they are modified a bit. A simple muffler mod changes they game with the 201. Just look for thread, 201t the truth inside. It will run stock. But it just takes time to break it in. With the bar and chain being new also you may have to feather it a bit to get it spinning until it breaks in. The saw also has to really warm up too. Your lookin at 25 tanks to really see it break in. If you cant find the threads I will walk you through the modifications.

Having to modify a new saw is just plain ridiculous. Bring the POS back. Make a stink.
Your dealer knows there are major issues with the saw that no parts will fix. As already
posted, dealers can't do any modifications. From the best top handle saw ever to this,
@ over 6 bills??? Damn shame. We've been discounting p/c repairs on MS200T's
for our better customers, just for customer relations. Really have no choice.

We here had a issue with the 201t out of the box too. Just a simple re-tune of the carb had them running good again, main issue we found was the idle was set to high so to back it down and slight adjustment of the low speed screw. Also had similar issues with the br200 and bg55's out of the box. Hope that it works out for ya chum.

Having to modify a new saw is just plain ridiculous. Bring the POS back. Make a stink.
Your dealer knows there are major issues with the saw that no parts will fix. As already
posted, dealers can't do any modifications. From the best top handle saw ever to this,
@ over 6 bills??? Damn shame. We've been discounting p/c repairs on MS200T's
for our better customers, just for customer relations. Really have no choice.

I agree. I think Stihl is seriously dropping the ball here. How can they sell a 'professional grade' saw and it runs worse than an auto parts store scooter. Yesterday, while doing a silver maple removal in tight quarters, I had to continually feather the throttle to coax the chain to spin and the saw is brand new....the replacement for the other brand new one that I bought that does the same exact thing. I couldn't believe it. I have one 192 t, two 200 t's, a new 261, one 440, one 460, one 660, an 880 and now unfortunately two 201 t's. The other saws I have run great and did so from the first cut. Nothing like being up on the last leader with the wind blowing and a saw that won't spin or paying $150 an hour for a crane while the same goes on. Professional grade?

How does the 201 differ from the 200? I'm very much in favor of the 200.

The 201T runs a strato engine. This type of engine design is rumoured to keep whales happy and stop global warming.
The biggest issue I have seen with not M-Tronic stratos is poor throttle response not to mention they come set too lean from the factory.
A while ago I did a thread up comparing a brand new 200T and 201T out of the box. There wasn't much in it until I removed the 200T's spark arresting screen with one screw. It then absolutely whipped the 201T in basically every aspect.
It is no secret that unmodified the 201T is a slug and this is also being backed up by arborists - it is not a popular saw out of the box with professionals and those who have never ran a 200T will wonder what all the fuss is about. A number of Australian arborists have contacted me after running 201T's asking if I can get them anymore 200T's (I was importing the 200T's from the US and onselling them).
I have a brand new 200T sitting in my cupboard and it isn't getting sold despite these things going for crazy money now out here.
Balance wise the 201T and 200T feel identical.

Im a arborist and also a saw builder. Although yes right out of the box the 201 is a dog. And its sad that stihl made a mistake with this model. But I have a feeling they are reworking this saw over as we speak. They cant be blind to the fact its a screwup. I will say once modified the 201 is a hell of a saw and hands down will eat a 200 in bigger wood. Its has more torque than a 200. A simple muff mod and retune is a start with the 201. Anyone can do it and it takes about twenty minutes to do. I really hope by spring stihl will unleash a updated version of this saw or have a completely different saw available down the road. Its stihl were talking here. There not going to let it slide for too long..

Back