Stihl 241 C-M problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everybody,I have a question about my almost new 241 cm.The saw was running fine,no problems.About 2 weeks ago I cleaned the air filter for the first time.Now the saw feels sluggish and wont idle.The problem started about 5 minutes after I had cleaned the filter.Saw is under warranty,so it will be made right.But im just curious what would cause this?Thanks for any help.By the way,the spark arrestor is clean and the plug looks new.

When you took the filter off,its possible some crud made its way into the carb
Most likely explanation

I don't know that model. However, I assume that you had to remove some plastic covers to actually access the filter. If so, then my money would on the possibility that you've accidentally trapped a wire or pipe etc. when reinstalling the covers.

If it were my saw, I'd be inclined to remove the covers I took off to change the filter, blow the area clear with comp air. Check the whole surrounding area ensuring all pipes/wires are good. Perhaps then I'd remove the filter, and restart and see if the problem persists.

Also is there a winter/summer air position switch that you might have upset?

Don't run a saw in the summer on the winter position!

The only crazy thing I could think you did was somehow disturb the on off switch into the choke position...

Thanks for all the replies.Im taking the saw to the dealer in the morning .My bet is on the electronic controlled carb,something is out of whack.I will let you all know what the problem was as soon as I find out.Hope the dealer works fast,I really like this little saw.And I'm only left with an 031 and a SXL Homelite.

Just curious, what did you "clean" the airfilter with? No insult intended but if you used a chemical it could have ruined the filter in a manner that wont allow air to pass through easily. Pull the top cover and take the filter off and try to start it and see what happens. It's worth a shot anyway.

also re calibrate the m tonic system

Set Master Control lever to
Start}
– Start machine – do not blip the
throttle trigger
After completion of the following
procedure, the Master Control lever
must be moved from Start} to
STOP 0 without pressing the throttle
trigger.
– Let the machine warm up for at
least 60 seconds in the Start}
position and then move the
Master Control lever to STOP 0
– Calibration is completed
The control unit is adjusted to the
carburetor while the engine runs in
the position Start}.
The machine must be switched off
immediately for the information to
be stored in the control unit

Just curious, what did you "clean" the airfilter with? No insult intended but if you used a chemical it could have ruined the filter in a manner that wont allow air to pass through easily. Pull the top cover and take the filter off and try to start it and see what happens. It's worth a shot anyway.
Thanks for the reply.I just tapped the filter on my truck bed and most of the dirt came out fine.Really wasnt very dirty,but needed cleaned.I tried no filter,with no luck.Thanks again

also re calibrate the m tonic system

Set Master Control lever to
Start}
– Start machine – do not blip the
throttle trigger
After completion of the following
procedure, the Master Control lever
must be moved from Start} to
STOP 0 without pressing the throttle
trigger.
– Let the machine warm up for at
least 60 seconds in the Start}
position and then move the
Master Control lever to STOP 0
– Calibration is completed
The control unit is adjusted to the
carburetor while the engine runs in
the position Start}.
The machine must be switched off
immediately for the information to
be stored in the control unit
Thanks a bushel for all the info,Im gonna try the recalibration first thing in the morning.I had a feeling the carb compensated for the dirty filter,and maybe couldnt reset itself.I will keep you informed,and thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies.Im taking the saw to the dealer in the morning .My bet is on the electronic controlled carb,something is out of whack.I will let you all know what the problem was as soon as I find out.
Yeah, the electronic carby seems a strong possibility there Bub.

Trying out backhoelover's calibration trick is a real good plan. Good luck pal, I hope you can beat the dealer to the solution! It's better for you that you know just what fixes it....

This is a prime example of why I have no intention of having a saw with an electronically controlled carb.

Hope you get it straightened out.

Turns out it was the solenoid valve in/on the carb.Good thing it was under warranty ,that tiny part would have cost $43.49.She is running like new again .I tried to recalibrate first tho.Thanks again everybody,maybe this info will prove useful to someone else someday.

Latest posts

Back