stihl 260 vs 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol I am sure most here dont....It is what it is. And if he doing firewood and going to make it? the bottle necks the splitter not the saw(good splitter 1000.00 and up). I may not like it but sure I could keep 2 guys buzy with a 290. With that said a 460, I will be on the splitter crew very fast. The Option the OP is a 260 or 290 ok what gives its a pro saw but not much faster. If it where me and its not I would be looking at a "441/460" "husky 372" or "dolmar 7900" and trying to find a 100+cc saw.
The little guy who can make it with a 290 or 260 and a maul is one bad mofo!

im just saying i don't like them i love the 270 they are a awesome saw 290 is what it is like you said. good for a small timer not a major cutter

They`ll both do what you want them to.Buy three used 290`s on ebay for the price of one new 260.Then you`ve got two extra saws.

The 260 makes better long-term business sense. The OP is running a small-time business, but he wants to be wise in how he invests his money. If his business does well, he will probably want to buy a 441 or 460 later to make a two saw plan. However, if he bought a 290 and later bought a 441 or 460, he would probably never pick up the 290 again. A pro saw is a better investment because it is a better built saw and is more pleasing to use.

However, if he bought a 290 and later bought a 441 or 460, he would probably never pick up the 290 again. A pro saw is a better investment because it is a better built saw and is more pleasing to use.

I`ve got 3 440`s, but I still use my 455 and my Echo 4400.Stihls 029/310/039`s are all very good saws for firewood.taken care of, they will last many, many years.He doesn`t need the best to get started.The clamshell engine to me is easier to do a full rebuild cause you don`t need special case splitting tools like you do with a 2 piece crankcase.The ms 310 will fill your cordwood needs until your established and think you need a pro saw.The farmboss saws are well know for their reliabilty and longevity.Buy three for the price of one.

I`ve got 3 440`s, but I still use my 455 and my Echo 4400.Stihls 029/310/039`s are all very good saws for firewood.taken care of, they will last many, many years.He doesn`t need the best to get started.The clamshell engine to me is easier to do a full rebuild cause you don`t need special case splitting tools like you do with a 2 piece crankcase.The ms 310 will fill your cordwood needs until your established and think you need a pro saw.The farmboss saws are well know for their reliabilty and longevity.Buy three for the price of one.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

I will have to say that if this is going to be how you make ALL your money you will want to but at least a 361 to start. It can pull a bigger bar and you will need it at times and it can run a 16in and still handle very well. its lighter the the 290 and better anti vibe which you will want day in and day out. if you are going to be a fire wood pro.. you need a pro saw... and after you do it a while you will learn as i did, that you dont want to do it with just one saw. You will want a very light saw like a 200 rear handle or a hopped up 180 for knocking the limbs off. the 361 to buck it up and in my case a dolmar7900 or a larger saw for the stump and the times you need a 36in bar.. and there will be those time ... Good luck its hard work and the pay is not the best.. but its honest work...

I will have to say that if this is going to be how you make ALL your money you will want to but at least a 361 to start. It can pull a bigger bar and you will need it at times and it can run a 16in and still handle very well. its lighter the the 290 and better anti vibe which you will want day in and day out. if you are going to be a fire wood pro.. you need a pro saw... and after you do it a while you will learn as i did, that you dont want to do it with just one saw. You will want a very light saw like a 200 rear handle or a hopped up 180 for knocking the limbs off. the 361 to buck it up and in my case a dolmar7900 or a larger saw for the stump and the times you need a 36in bar.. and there will be those time ... Good luck its hard work and the pay is not the best.. but its honest work...

I agree. If the budget allows, get the 361. It's a major bummer to make that kind of investment, be sorry in the long run and wish you had gone bigger. I don't know your exact situation, but if it were me I would start with a nice used saw so a back-up can be purchased more quickly. I've gotten a little lazy (and spoiled) and never go cutting without a second or third saw in the truck. Just drive into the woods and go to start your only saw and have the recoil break. If you are doing this for income you can't afford to have too many days like that.

I bought a 260 pro last year and do use it quite a bit when I am in the woods. However, I do more bucking off of log piles now than going into the woods so the small saws don't get used as much anymore. I don't own a 361 (actually, since it stays at my house...ownership...9/10th's :) ), but use my dad's very frequently and love it. Not too heavy to lug around and enough power to efficiently cut firewood. As mentioned previously, if you run into some larger wood it will also pull a larger bar if you need it to.

Back