stihl 261 and 362 crank problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are they breaking all those saws like that?
Not a clue. Those 4 261's pictured all need cranks because the clutch drum bearing has a groove wore into the crank. All but one was also blown up. They decided I wasn't supposed to touch the 362c after they left but I can't stand it. I am going to pressure and vac test it. Fuel in the tank looks good/no ethanol in the test. It is supposedly only a couple weeks old.

That's the whole reason I started this thread. I can't explain it all away. There are a few that get straight gassed, a few that have air leaks(every one has been base gasket), the few that I removed the limiters on lean seized...They couldn't resist tuning them. I removed the limiters so I could set them rich and test the theory of less rpms they should last longer. Had some 4 corner seizures. The horrendously bad air filtration on the 362 has caused a few failures. I tried muffler modding a few to try testing the cooler running temps plus extra fuel might help. I post all of those failures just to mess with the Stihl fanatics. :D

Mtronic saws seizing with good mix in the tank and no air leaks I can't really explain plus add in the fact that once repaired they run perfect. Big end rod bearing failures I can't explain. Clutch bearings wearing grooves into the crank I can't explain. :( Still haven't really heard of plausible explanations for these either. Apparently me and a couple other dealers near me are the only ones seeing these problems though.

That's the whole reason I started this thread. I can't explain it all away. There are a few that get straight gassed, a few that have air leaks(every one has been base gasket), the few that I removed the limiters on lean seized...They couldn't resist tuning them. I removed the limiters so I could set them rich and test the theory of less rpms they should last longer. Had some 4 corner seizures. The horrendously bad air filtration on the 362 has caused a few failures. I tried muffler modding a few to try testing the cooler running temps plus extra fuel might help. I post all of those failures just to mess with the Stihl fanatics. :D

Mtronic saws seizing with good mix in the tank and no air leaks I can't really explain plus add in the fact that once repaired they run perfect. Big end rod bearing failures I can't explain. Clutch bearings wearing grooves into the crank I can't explain. :( Still haven't really heard of plausible explanations for these either. Apparently me and a couple other dealers near me are the only ones seeing these problems though.

Well it's sounding more and more like simple abuse IMHO. Like dull chains, leaning on her with the clutch slipping, over stressing/heating the cranks. Just because the saws have good mix in them when they get to your shop, doesn't mean they always did. But you probably already know all this.

I had a crew come through a few years back, not one of them spoke a word of English, well the foreman did. Sometimes they add too much oil, sometimes not enough. Said the foreman. They were going through so many pro saws they started buying 211's and getting the same time out of them. I'd suggest these guys do the same at this point.

I think that for many people the way these saws are used could be defined as abusive. That simply adds to the legend of the 361 and the 038. It also measures up the current models and finds them lacking.

I never got a definitive answer from folks on the 1125s, personally while they are what I use, I find them to be a bit on the delicate side of the comparison. Still my go to saw for 54-60cc though.

Tell them to step up to 461s, at least then you could be stockpiling 461 parts.

I work for a tree company who, in my opinion, are hard on saws, in over 8 months we've had one major failure when a 201 ate its insides, there have been smaller breakdowns due to loose spark plugs or loose airfilters but normally caused by people, generally saws are pretty tough

This lot seem like a whole different level, I can imagine the throttle is held full open from cold, the chain is blunt and loose, the airfilters are filthy and bet the fuel can never gets a shake either

Some people are just mechanically retarded

Surely their would be some clues a good detective like yourself would find. Wearing grooves into cranks under a plastic needle cage clutch drum bearing surely must leave a tell tale story of what is happening here.

Well it's sounding more and more like simple abuse IMHO. Like dull chains, leaning on her with the clutch slipping, over stressing/heating the cranks. Just because the saws have good mix in them when they get to your shop, doesn't mean they always did. But you probably already know all this.

I had a crew come through a few years back, not one of them spoke a word of English, well the foreman did. Sometimes they add too much oil, sometimes not enough. Said the foreman. They were going through so many pro saws they started buying 211's and getting the same time out of them. I'd suggest these guys do the same at this point.
You my friend I say nailed it.

Surely their would be some clues a good detective like yourself would find. Wearing grooves into cranks under a plastic needle cage clutch drum bearing surely must leave a tell tale story of what is happening here.
piss poor quality

i do have one question about mtronic. when that solenoid goes bad the saw wont idle. what else does that effect? does it affect the high side ? I have replaced quite a few but never seen any other side effects other than they wont idle. These guys continue to run them after it goes bad and they keep blipping the throttle to keep them running. Anyone have the mtronic software? Is it something a non dealer can use or did stihl design it so it has to be used by an authorized dealer?

If that's the case then what a major fail on stihl, and in the years to come as the mtronics get older and the sylinoids fail more saws toast... maybe the sylinoids sticking in the position that causes a lean high speed ratio???

i do have one question about mtronic. when that solenoid goes bad the saw wont idle. what else does that effect? does it affect the high side ? I have replaced quite a few but never seen any other side effects other than they wont idle. These guys continue to run them after it goes bad and they keep blipping the throttle to keep them running. Anyone have the mtronic software? Is it something a non dealer can use or did stihl design it so it has to be used by an authorized dealer?
Sounds like you need to fix the crew first then the saws:reading::)

Seen some 261's back a few years ago (non M-tronic) having the same issues with clutch side bearings and wear at the drum bearing .
This tree service outfit had several go bad and it turned out that some or most of the employees were snapping the chain brake on before the saw had returned to idle . I guess quite a few of them had worked for Ontario Hydro tree crews and were taught to snap the brake as soon as they came out of a cut .

Latest posts

Back