Stihl 2n1 Laser???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears it simplifies measuring length by triginometry. You have to measure the first length you want and set the laser till it points at the end of the log and the down angle is set at that point then make a cut or mark. Move down the log and when the laser touches the cut or mark you just made then the length is the same as the first cut. Make a mark or cut and repeat. Imagine the log is the base or a right triangle, the laser line is the hypotenuse side of the triange.

Steve

That's what I was thinking.

The problem I see is consistently getting the saw body perpendicular to the log. Large bark or bumps can change the angle of the saw, which changes the length measured.

While I'm not against gimicy tools being designed, made, bought and used. I don't think it makes cutting to length any easier or more accurate, as the easiest way to cut to length is to measure from your bar tip back to somewhere on the bar or saw and using that as a guide for length. While the laser itself is accurate, variables in how/where the saw is held, bends in the log and differing diameters would make the "laser mark" vary by quite a bit.

That said, I hope they sell a bunch of them.

Sam

That's what I was thinking.

The problem I see is consistently getting the saw body perpendicular to the log. Large bark or bumps can change the angle of the saw, which changes the length measured.

You are correct. For the measurement to be accurate the saw has to be flat down on the log so the height of the laser remains constant above the log, remember it is one side of the right triangle. It appears from the video that this can be attached to any Stihl handlebar so it should be able to transfer between several different saws. I think it is neat but I am not sure how much it would really help me in cutting 4 or 5 cords of firewood per year. Who knows, if they are cheap enough I might try one.

Steve

Latest posts

Back