Stihl 310?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one, then traded it in and was going to get a 361, the dealer was out of 361's so now I am a proud owner of a 460.

I cut quite a bit with my 310 then used a 361 and there was a night and day difference between the two, then that compared to my 460.... WOW

When people tell me they are thinking of a 290,310,390 I tell them to save the coin and go with a 361, you will be way happier.

there is one for sale near me for $300.

Worth it?

The seller says it is one year old and used very lightly.

$ 250 would be more like it but only if the bar's not all burnt up. Its a bit on the heavy side but with a muffler mod ends up being close to 5 hp. You will have to change over the clutch drum if you want to run a 8 pin rim sprocket. Makes a good midsized limbing saw .:chainsaw:

$ 250 would be more like it but only if the bar's not all burnt up. Its a bit on the heavy side but with a muffler mod ends up being close to 5 hp. You will have to change over the clutch drum if you want to run a 8 pin rim sprocket. Makes a good midsized limbing saw .:chainsaw:

I agree, I would try to shoot for 250 if its in good shape. I traded in a like new 290, less than 5 tanks through it, for less than that.

recently tuned a 310 for a buddy and it ran ok, but definitly a big step down from my 361. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 20" bar. 300 is a little on the high side. 250 max unless looks brand new

buy it for $300 and you will have $300 left for something else, open the muffler and you have a saw that will cut with a 361. it's not as fancy, more vibes, and not as easy to rebuild, but a very capable saw for the non-pro.

These days you can get more saw for $300 if you look around. I have seen used 440s for $300 on CL.

310 is a good saw. I have run its little brother, the 290 for a long time. Two issues between it and the 361 pro are the anti-vibe, and the build quality. Taking a 310 apart is a lot more of a pain than a 361. Running the 310 for a long time is going to be more painful than the 361 as well.

Why didn't you just buy one of those $360 John Deere CS62s?
New saw, MS361 quality, 2 year warranty....
Too bad the cheapest one on fleaBay now is $399 + freight...
I suppose I could let you have one of mine if you don't find one of your own.

buy it for $300 and you will have $300 left for something else, open the muffler and you have a saw that will cut with a 361. it's not as fancy, more vibes, and not as easy to rebuild, but a very capable saw for the non-pro.

I agree, I liked mine and wish I wouldn't had sold it now. I had ran about 15 gallons through mine and it was a nice saw too close to the 361 to justify the 250.00 extra. Btw I got 300.00 out of mine also, I wouldn't have taken a dime less either:greenchainsaw:

I realize ebay's not usually a good way to go, but if you're strapped for cash and not in a biiiiig rush, consider a builder. I was just looking a Stihl 036es on the 'bay and found a tree-crushed one going cheap and a complete one with toasted piston/cylinder also going reasonably cheaply. For a tight budget, you may luck in to a pair or trio of donors and get yourself into a Frankensaw pretty reasonably. Not a solution for many people, but it is one more option.

Otherwise, go for a 310 as low-as-you-can-go. It would make a great leap from Poulan and later become a very capable back-up saw.

I had one, and loved it. Once the muffler was opened up. That makes all the difference in the world. Sold it for 275. Kind of miss it.

Latest posts

Back