stihl 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tilenick

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just put a new jug and piston on my newly boought 360 and wanted to start it up but, It has no clutch bearing. If I take off the sprocket is it safe to idle the saw or should I wait till the bearing comes in?
Also what is the proper break in procedure for a new top end? this is my first with new parts. I did another saw with a used top end and it worked great but I wasnt worried about the break in because it was already broke in.
Thanks, Nick.

I just put a new jug and piston on my newly boought 360 and wanted to start it up but, It has no clutch bearing. If I take off the sprocket is it safe to idle the saw or should I wait till the bearing comes in?
Also what is the proper break in procedure for a new top end? this is my first with new parts. I did another saw with a used top end and it worked great but I wasnt worried about the break in because it was already broke in.
Thanks, Nick.

Wait for the bearing and install it before starting it! One rev (which happens during the Stihl start process) and your clutch can explode.

I believe its a good idea to heat cycle a new piston once or twice before really loading it, but some dont believe in that.
Obviously you need to let the assembly smoke burn out then re-adjust your carb before loading it in a cut for very long.

I will wait till the bearing comes in. And thanks for the tip.

I know where you are coming from. It's murder having a fresh saw together just waiting for one or two pars to finish it. But I started a saw once without a clutch bearing and drum once, and the pieces FLEW! I was lucky I didnt catch a clutch shoe in the head. Lesson learned.

I am really anxious to start it because my brother got it for me from his work in landscaping where rookies straight gassed it and I know that other than that and a missing bar stud the thing has been cared for. but I shall wait and do it the right way;.

Back