Stihl 361 vs. 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long Live the MS 361

Stihl gave me a really good reason to run my MS 361 until it drops dead, and that could easily be forever: they launched the MS 362. :dizzy:

Sometimes the only way to destroy a really good leader is to find some idiot who will assassinate him. :cry:

Change for the sake of change is disgusting.

Last edited:
Nothing at all wrong with a 362!!!

Andre can give me his any time he wants!!!LOL

I would much rather spend my time telling you what is good about a 362 (or any other saw for that matter) than spend it telling you why it isn't as good as some other saw.

In the end, it is very much subjective.
A saw that Niko loves may not feel as good to me as one he hates.
I know that a couple that I dearly love, he isn't too fond of, but that doesn't make me love them any less.

Mike

The Wrap handle sure will do that, and I guess your 361 is one of the "detuned" VB ones, that were sold in the US.......

The cylinder and muffler is different from the true MS361s!

Is there any other type to be had here in the US? I'm not too good on the technical data stuff, thats why were glad your here ST.:)

i checked out the new 362 and 441 the other day at a local stihl shop, i have seen them but hadnt had them in my hands until then.

the first thing i noticed was how BIG and bulky they looked right off the bat, they had the 441 sitting next to a 460, it is just plain BIGGER. and feels just as heavy. the 362 is very large for a 60cc saw, bulky and is noticeably heavier than a 361, plus $80-100+ more expensive

it really isnt the best marketing strategy to have the newer more "advanced" saws sitting next to old relics that are smaller (for their cc size) ,lighter and cheaper.

BIGGER whats bigger ?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

well i have the 361 and 362 their grate saws lots of power but guys dont post pics of little saws my saws will always be bigger
301om7k.jpg

Two years from now.

When you are troubleshooting the clusterfuk 0362 "carb", running ethanol mix.

I'll be cutting with my old 036, running AV gas, that I can fix/diagnose rather fast.

P.S. I 'll carry an extra filter and not worry about the newer MUSHY vibration system, and fat gurl platform

Two years from now.

When you are troubleshooting the clusterfuk 0362 "carb", running ethanol mix.

I'll be cutting with my old 036, running AV gas, that I can fix/diagnose rather fast.

P.S. I 'll carry an extra filter and not worry about the newer MUSHY vibration system, and fat gurl platform

None of this makes sense to me. The carb is no different, maybe one linkage for the valve for the strato. Ethanol mix has nothing to do with anything regarding the two saws, that would be an operator option as to what mix they run in their saw. I run 93 non eth at a 50:1

Not any more to diagnose a 362 or a 361. Saying the new av is mushy is hogwash. The old style rubber mounted av was mushy. I have had problems with carpel(sp?) tunnel for a long time and usually get bothered by vibrations, I can run the 362 all day and not have tingling hands and it doesn't feel mushy to me at all.

well i have the 361 and 362 their grate saws lots of power but guys dont post pics of little saws my saws will always be bigger
301om7k.jpg

Wow, a stihl saw without a flippy cap in sight. Old skool rules! Except of course for the vibes. No more paint shakers for me thanks!

please forgive me, i stand corrected on the "bigger" comment, although it does look "wider" from the top view
either way, thats besides the point
aside from that, it IS heavier and it IS more expensive, a lot more ($680+tax with a 20" bar around here)
you own a 362, that is why you got so defensive, thats totally understandable , i see a lot of people blindly bashing the 362, because its not a 361. without even running one, only an idiot would do that.
im not sure why you took any of my comments as "trashing" the 362, i was just trying to give the OP my first impression on the saw after finally getting to pick one up and play with it in person..my opinion on the 362 doesnt mean much, cause i havnt run one,and i never implied i have. thats why i didnt trash it or make any negative assumptions towards a saw i havnt run, that would be ignorant of me.i just identified what was obvious to me and added my "2 cents" to the thread. if you want to defend the honor of the 362 , there are TONS of threads on here with people bashing it, that have never even run one!

can we be friends :buttkick: :)

if youd like to hear me bash a saw, ask me about my husky 350 sitting in a pool of its own bar oil in the back of my truck, its helped me make a bunch of money.. but its still the red headed step child around here.

Sure we're friends, we're just talking about saws.:cheers:

I was simply pointing the facts as they are, to clarify the misconceptions about the 362. I do really like the 362, but it's not my favorite, and I really have little use for a 60cc saw.

They're a lot of people on this site that seem to look at something and without using it or working with it claim whether or not it's good or bad. Yes their opinion means less to me, as it should to everyone.

I paid about $630.00 for my 362, if you find the right dealer you can get them for about the same as a 361. I have no reason do defend the 362 it's just a saw.:cheers:

I have both the MS362 and a MS361 saw so I believe I have earned the right and ability to give my feelings and opinions on the performance of both as opposed to some who just read spec sheets. The 361 is a great saw, and after a "lakeside" muffler mod it really woke up! Screaming fast cutting great saw. The 362 has not fully broken in yet but it seems to have more torque with a wider power band. Better air filtration and anti-vibe, it also is a 3/4 wrap version, I really like that. To summerize, both are great saws and in my opinion the 362 is slightly better in most respects but not by a great lot.

Steve

Who's dissing the 362, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the ones that have yet to cut any wood with it, awwwwwwwwwwwww there's ya sign,LOLOL

The rave about the 361 was its relaibility, weight and handling and yes priced much lower than the Husky counterpart 357. I think the 357 had some minor issues that needed corrected, the 361 had none that I know of.

Lets compare the 361 vs the 362

361-less weight
361-less cost
361-handling due to less weight
361-easy to work on

362-better filtration
362-smoother overall saw
362-burns less fuel
362-cranks much smoother
362-better muffler
362-will outcut a 361

So the 361 has plus 4, oh wait the 362 has plus 6, hmmmmmmm

Sold many 362's, to date not one complaint nor one repair. The saw has been flawless regardless of those that have yet to run one that claim otherwise. Key word CLAIM, thats means anyone can blow smoke but it takes hands on to know what your talking about. The same naysayers were talking the same trash when the 441 came out. However the 441 has survived 3 different versions of the competitors comparable saw. Go figure,LOLOL
The 441 is the biggest piece of **** Stihl ever made

And I am still servicing them for all kinds of users. Yes if the module or carb fail it is big bucks. But I have only had a handfull bad. Again one person's junk is another's treasure.
But then again I was a GM tech in the 80s.
Years ago when the 441 first came out I knew of a crew running several. They had good luck with them.

Back