Stihl 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone out there heard any updates on the filter situation with the 362's? My dealer said he sent one back to Stihl that was full of small particulates in the carb, hadn't heard anything yet though.

He did say they were at a conference a few weeks ago and Stihl was acknowledging the problem and said to make sure the primary filter had the steel clips on it, which mine does.

He didn't say for sure, but he made it sound as though Stihl is looking at doing something. Thats as much as he could say though.

Just curious if others have heard anything in addition to this.

Haven't heard a thing yet either. Mine has the steel clips but had to pinch them on the plastic tips better, twice they slid off, almost lost them.

Keep up posted, thanks.

Must be all of the 362's, there were some made that had filters without the steel tab and newer ones with the revision steel clip. Both let air flow by the seal and get small particulates into the carb.

Thanks, for the clarification. Sounds like they need a thicker softer durometer seal between the airfilter & carb.

I have had a 362 since October of 2009, I was told it was one of the first in my area. Reason I bought it: exceptional filtration, had a 361 for 2 years that the dealer gave me full retail for trade-in. Lets just say I have been less than impressed with the filtration as I have suffered what I call dust pull through from the get go. Yes mine came equiped with the metal tabbed filter since new. 3/4 of the filter where it meets the carb box has a small lip that actually wraps onto the carb box the bottom 1/4 of the filter however just fits against the carb box, no lip, not a lot of seal area. Mostly from what I can tell though the filter just does not keep the dust from penetrating it as dust seems to be just pulled straight through the filter.

I sent the saw to Stihl Northwest and had the regional tech. rep look into it. Bottom line, I was told to run it and not worry about it and leave the filter alone until I had noticeable power loss. I was also told to apply a small amount of heavy grease to the edges of the filter to help seal the filter to the carb box, I explained that I did not think the dust was passing around the filter but rather through the filter, fell on deaf ears. I always keep my chain very sharp and the saw expells large chips when cutting, however, most of my cutting is dry, seasoned tamarack. This type of wood can produce lots of dust when cutting, very fine dust that can seemingly penetrate anything.

I finally just let it go and use the saw without much thought to the filter and the dust issue. I keep the fleece pre-filter cleaned but rarely touch the primary flocked filter, per Stihls directions. I generally cut about 15 cords of firewood per season and I will pull the filter a couple of times each season and blow it out and clean out the fines that collect downstream. I did receive, in writing, an agreement with Stihl that if I suffered failure due to ingestion of the fine particulates that they would cover the costs of repair or replacement. I was told that the filters would not allow what they deemed dangerous particulates to reach the engine. I will agree, the dust that I have found behind the filter is the finest you could see, it resembles flour it is that fine.

I can post a pic if you really want, the clips just slip over the two plastic studs on the bottom of the filter. How early is your 362?

One of the first bought in the US. That was pretty much what I was thinking they did. The design could be better, and I could see the filter not sealing after a lot of use.

has anyone tired retrofitting another filter onto the 362? I have one with the metal clips on the air filter but I still see dust on the plastic shroud under the air filter.....perhaps there is a way to adapt the carb to use another filter (i like the looks of the filter on the new 261's, looks like a car air filter)

I can agree that the size of the fines is such that you wouldn't think it would hurt the engine. But still it's a brand new saw and I shouldn't see anything but a clean carb when I pull the filters. I'm also not real impressed with the actual filtration of the pre and primary filters. I see lots of stuff sticking halfway through the prefilter and on into the primary.

You would just think for the cash they could come up w a way to filter dust. Dang

has anyone tired retrofitting another filter onto the 362? I have one with the metal clips on the air filter but I still see dust on the plastic shroud under the air filter.....perhaps there is a way to adapt the carb to use another filter (i like the looks of the filter on the new 261's, looks like a car air filter)

I'm not real familiar w the 261 filter, I know it's quite different from the 362. What are its attachment points like?

I thought from the start, the 362 should have had a filter setup like the other pro Stihls. That's the same issue I always had with my 026 Pro. Who really wants that felt filter? The 261 has the correct filter setup.

I always close my choke when I service the filter just to be safe.

I just bought a 362 and my filter does have the metal clips on the filter, they appear to be crimped on pretty well - I saw this thread and fiddled with them so I could hurry up and loose them :msp_wink: - they stayed put.

I bought mine with a 20" bar, then swapped it to my new Sandvik 16" 'power tip' bar for normal cutting - the 20" is only for big stuff, and just to get it on the ground. I never liked that cut from one side and then the other method.

When I took mine to the dealer he pulled the entire intake base off and you could see where it was sucking dust into the upper butterfly. He said he installed a small o ring to create a face seal in between it and the carb base. Seems to have helped so far on mine. We'll see.

Anyone out there heard any updates on the filter situation with the 362's? My dealer said he sent one back to Stihl that was full of small particulates in the carb, hadn't heard anything yet though.

He did say they were at a conference a few weeks ago and Stihl was acknowledging the problem and said to make sure the primary filter had the steel clips on it, which mine does.

He didn't say for sure, but he made it sound as though Stihl is looking at doing something. Thats as much as he could say though.

Just curious if others have heard anything in addition to this.

I would be interested in this also,as i purchased a ms 362 in march of 2012,i have ran 8 tanks through mine,and cleaned the air filter off,it has the metal clips on the feet also,the area behind the filter didnt seem to be dusty,but have only ran 8 tanks of fuel through the saw too.this saw has great power and im a little disappointed that the filter system is like this.

Back