STIHL 440 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandrimp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Seems my 440 has almost quit oiling.It will throw oil in the shop when the bar is aimed at somethin, but while cutting I can tell its pullin hard and the chains noisey and hot. It started this saturday in a 28" white oak that was green, but I had just been sawing a 26" dry log. Im pullin a 20" currently but also have a 28" for those biggins. (It dont see much use.) I have checked the bar holes their clean.I have ran a bar oil, solvent mix through it and checked the filter in the tank after rinsing out the tank. Oiler is turned to max. I used it tonight and saw it actually throw some sparks from the bar.Heres the kicker the oil level goes down as it always has and I dont see anywhere its going other than where it should. Any ideas.

Sparks at night are normal. You should see the show from a 7900 in hickory. The oiler on the ms440 was its Achilles heel. The oiler did not work that well under the best of circumstances. Yours is probably fine. The oiler on my ms361 actually works much better than the one on my 440. Too bad the rest of the 361 don’t. Stihl oilomatic chains are recommended on the 440.

Anyhoo, you can try rinsing out the oil tank with a couple of shots of mix. You might have a screen full of dust. You can also try running stihl winter oil. I think an oiler upgrade is also a possibility on this saw and was covered in some detail on this site. If all else fails, switch to a husky 372xp.

Not sure how a worn sprocket would change the oiling of the chain, but I suppose it could happen.

If the bar, chain, sprocket are worn excessively, it can cause the buildup of excess heat. This will exacerbate the minimal oiling of the 440. I forget if it was the piston or the control bolt, but I modified mine so that it puts out significantly more oil.

With the engine off, pull the chain round the bar (wear gloves). If the chain tension varies between tight and slack as the chain goes round a worn chain and sprocket are probably the problem. This scenario would explain the excessive heat (and thus lack of oiling) and the noise.

What are you running for a B&C?

I've recently read that the oiler was "improved" or "adjusted down" on the MS660 (perhaps for EPA), however most dealers say it works fine WITH STIHL BARS AND CHAINS. These are designed to handle the oil better.

Perhaps the 440 has been improved also.

I need to get two replacement "Aussie" pumps.

Latest posts

Back