Stihl 460 mag problem..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daliclimbs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks.. I'm new to the forum, but I have a question. I don't know much about working on saws so please bear with me. I was cutting some very large sycamore yesterday and noticed my saw seemed hot. We were noodling the rounds through the end grain so we could lift them onto the splitter. I sat my saw aside to cool and didn't use it anymore Now it wont start. I pulled the muffler to look at the piston and it isn't seized. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I would pull the clutch cover off and make sure it isn't packed in with noodles since you mentioned that was what you were doin.

Its not flooded. Its hard to explain but now When I try to start it it sounds a little off. Like something Is holding it back from kicking over.

Ok... Let's go from step 1... Do you have spark??? Pull the plug out of the cylinder and hook it up to the plug wire... Touch it to the jug, turn the saw on, and pull it over... Is the plug firing?
If so, shoot some pre-mix in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in, leave the saw in the run position, and pull it over a few times. Let us know what happens... A pic of the piston and rings would be very helpful though... If you could...

Ok... Let's go from step 1... Do you have spark??? Pull the plug out of the cylinder and hook it up to the plug wire... Touch it to the jug, turn the saw on, and pull it over... Is the plug firing?
If so, shoot some pre-mix in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in, leave the saw in the run position, and pull it over a few times. Let us know what happens... A pic of the piston and rings would be very helpful though... If you could...

OK. I will do some checks tomorrow, and try to get you a pic of the piston..

Thanks guys for all the input. It ended up being the spark. I gave it a good cleaning and the saw fired like the tank it is!

Thanks guys for all the input. It ended up being the spark. I gave it a good cleaning and the saw fired like the tank it is!

Good deal... Now if you thought it was getting hot on you, be mindful of it for a while. Make sure you're not running lean, or it will be the death of your saw... What color was the plug when you pulled it?

By color of the plug, this refers primarily to the normally white ceramic insulator portion. Normal is a tannish brown. If it is black, that could indicate running rich and carbon buildup. If it is white, that could indicate the saw is running too hot and burned off all the normal deposits.

Plug had a little light to mid brown residue. When I was.cutting it was in the mid 70s. So I may have been hot myself and Just got paranoid LOL. The plug should be changed anyway as its getting pretty old.

Plug had a little light to mid brown residue. When I was.cutting it was in the mid 70s. So I may have been hot myself and Just got paranoid LOL. The plug should be changed anyway as its getting pretty old.

Brown is good... Was just a little worried there for a moment... Keep the saw clean and happy cutting...
:cheers:

How important is it to set the plate inside to the hot side for summer and cold side for winter? I never see any mention of this anywhere besides the manual.

Back