• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 460 Project Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
Well it seems everyone wants a 046/460 project so here is one. The saw pictured is one of tons I have had through the years. I do not have specific history on it. Several days ago was the first time I have touched it in a long time. Several gentleman have asked about 460's so here is one. It is a project saw. I have tried taking pictures but my picture taking skills are worse than a 3 year old. I pulled the muffler tonight and took some pics of the piston. It looks good. There is one muffler bolt missing. As you can see in the pic the muffler has got corrosion. It is missing a bar stud. The recoil will need two new starter pawls. It engages but not well since they are worn. You will need four recoil screws as I had to borrow the ones on it from another saw. There is a picture of a crack starting in the lower right corner of where the recoil mounts. It does have good compression and spark. I have told you what I know and I will do my best to post pics but I am not photographer. Of course the key question is always price. I am looking at $335 plus shipping. I think that is fair and reasonable. I feel this saw will make someone a decent little project to work on. Please ask questions and I will do my best to answer you with what I know.

Looks like a candidate for a teardown and replace worn parts. Still worth it unless the crank is shot.
Well i think it would make a nice project saw for someone and it is priced right. I cannot speak to the condition of the crank. I have posted what I know about it and posted pics. I welcome any questions folks have.

I am assuming it does not run? I have had a dreaded experience with recoil holes before so wonder if that crack will “matter” much? I am sure it is a stupid question but what is the deal with the hole by the bar oil cap?

Thank you

I am assuming it does not run? I have had a dreaded experience with recoil holes before so wonder if that crack will “matter” much? I am sure it is a stupid question but what is the deal with the hole by the bar oil cap?

Thank you
Which hole are you wondering about? The big one is for the AV buffer The small one is a factory hole I believe for assembly

While you see I’m having a hard time convincing my mother that I need a 9th chainsaw at 15 years old. Hopefully I’ll be sending a pm soon. Id says it’s probably 60/40
Thank you very much

While you see I’m having a hard time convincing my mother that I need a 9th chainsaw at 15 years old. Hopefully I’ll be sending a pm soon. Id says it’s probably 60/40
Thank you very much
I had them tore apart in my college dorm

Well folks since there has been squat interest I figured I would swap a recoil off another saw and put some fuel in it.
Guess what ,,,she fired up and idled like a champ on the 4th pull. Now she definitely will need a carb kit or at least a bit of finesse, It is a project saw just like I said with the issues I mentioned earlier. I just wonder what folks think a "project saw" is. I can run a comp test but I am betting she is clicking in pretty damm well.

Here is a vid. As you can see she bogs out at throttle increase but idles well.

Latest posts

Back