Stihl 460 rpm creeps up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was cutting with a buddy a while back and notice the rpm at idle crept up. Is this fuel tank related or something else? I want to try to save him a trouble of smoking a great saw if I can. He seems not to care too much but it bothers me.

FourMoCajuns said:
I was cutting with a buddy a while back and notice the rpm at idle crept up. Is this fuel tank related or something else? I want to try to save him a trouble of smoking a great saw if I can. He seems not to care too much but it bothers me.

Could be merely a carb adjustment move a tad. Reset the the high screw and listen. A dull chain will make it scream in the cut as well, check the chain too.

Maybe I didn't say it right. After a cut the saw wants to run faster at idle.
I used to have a Husky 55 Rancher that did this when my shirt would stop some of the air flow at idle.

FourMoCajuns said:
Maybe I didn't say it right. After a cut the saw wants to run faster at idle.
I used to have a Husky 55 Rancher that did this when my shirt would stop some of the air flow at idle.

Ok, your low speed screw is set too lean, back it off some and adjust the idle if you need to. A lean low speed adjustment will cause such issues, richen it up a tad by turning the screw out some, counter clockwise. As you turn the screw out the idle will drop so you may need to adjust the idle screw a tad to make up for it...

Back