Stihl 460 sprocket set up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
I was going to order an eight pin sprocket for the 460 tonight. I pulled the cover off to see if there were any numbers that might be of help on the rim.

Here it has an eight pin on it. Stamped Stihl 3/8-8 on it. I bought the saw used. Did they come with eights on them from the factory? It has a 28" bar on it now.

The reason for wanting the eight was for the new 20" GB bar and chain I have for it.

So now my question would be should I order a seven pin for the 28" bar or leave it. I posted a video of it a while back pulling the 28 bar through rock solid pin oak fully buried and while it went through it very well I could tell if I pushed into it I could slow it down pretty good. I hardly ever cut oak. Mostly elm and ash. I just do not want to harm the saw any. Most of the wood I get will be no where near the hardness of Oak.

So now my question would be should I order a seven pin for the 28" bar or leave it.

There not that much, why not get one and try it, if you dont like it, switch back?
I have a 7 pin on my 044, but 8 pin on my 064 and 066, they love 'em!:clap:

There not that much, why not get one and try it, if you dont like it, switch back?
I have a 7 pin on my 044, but 8 pin on my 064 and 066, they love 'em!:clap:

are you doppy man?

first you have to take off the bar bolts, then remove the bar and chain, then the sprocket.........takes forever............

I have a 7 pin 3/8 on my MS460 with a 25" bar. I can lean on it hard before it starts to bog... As K7NUT said they aren't much money, give it a try and see. You might like it with the extra grunt...

probly depends on the size of the wood to.

i have 7 8 9 pin sprockets and am running 7s on everything but acasionly run the 9 in small wood playing. all my saws are ported running 28-32"s bars and cutting past the tip most the time.
they pull the 8 okay but just feel better in the cut with 7s

Latest posts

Back