Stihl 460 West Coast clutch cover part numbers question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to order another OEM west coast clutch cover, chip deflector and felling spikes for Stihl 460's, but I cant get any local dealers to be on the ball and order them.

Each dealer has a different story, have heard the parts are not available separately, that there is a kit with all 3, that the parts are NLA has also been a response.

If there is a kit with all 3 parts, does anyone know a part number? I have a hard time thinking, since the 460 was / is so popular, that these parts are NLA or not available separately. Honestly, my thoughts are lazy dealer syndrome strikes again, IMO.

Any input or help is appreciated guys

4d0ff1f2a6dd09414df61516e1643929.jpg

On Definitive Daves site

Well, if you don't know which part number you want, they get a little antsy....
True but most dealers are given training on how to use the IPL system that Stihl supplies us with. I also can flip the screen around and they can see the IPL and point at the part they want. There is really no reason for a dealer to refuse to sell parts. ( unless they are the forbidden EPA tools ) We need to educate the customer better! I am sure those of you who are in the trade have had people coming in and asking for an auger cable for their snow blower, brake cable for their mower, a 16" chain for their chainsaw.... and thinking that are all the same until we educate them.

Well, true. I remember trouble ordering sprocket covers before. On some, the one that came on the saw originally was plastic, and the only part on the ipls was a magnesium cover, and the ipl or part price list didn't say if it was plastic or metal, and ordering one was the only way to tell. Or else spending an hour on the phone with the guys in the warehouse.
Plus the O.P. might have just come in requesting this kit, etc., and so on......

Well, true. I remember trouble ordering sprocket covers before. On some, the one that came on the saw originally was plastic, and the only part on the ipls was a magnesium cover, and the ipl or part price list didn't say if it was plastic or metal, and ordering one was the only way to tell. Or else spending an hour on the phone with the guys in the warehouse.
Plus the O.P. might have just come in requesting this kit, etc., and so on......

This is true sometimes the older saws go through revisions so you have a point there.

To the OP, you may well be money ahead to get a new or used saw with wrap version. That would get you everything you're looking for as well as wrap handlebar and high output oiler. A nice 460 Rescue version just sold.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

I supplied the dealers with correct part numbers as I have the IPL's, granted some part numbers may be superseded, but they still have not been able to be definitive on what is or is not available, never mind pricing.

I can walk into the New Holland dealer and immediately get availability, pricing and updated schematics if needed, for a 21 year old tractor, simple, easy.

the part numbers Brad listed are some of the ones I gave the dealers for what I want and they told me either NLA, not sold separate or only offered in a bundle, with no added info on said parts bundle.

Frustrating to say the least

give your dealer 1128 640 1708. this part number will get you the extended clutch cover. rubber flap. spike and hardware and chain catcher. if this saw is not already set up with the spikes for the wrap handle version you will also need 1122 664 0506 as the inside spike to match the spike that will come in the kit number I just gave you. this part number is still available, I know this because I just checked it, and will retail for right around 90-95 bucks.

Latest posts

Back