Stihl 460 with 064 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What all is nessesary to do to put the 064 piston in a 460? Is a pop-up a must do?....or just optional? And how many cyl. gaskets will be needed? Any issues with doing this to a 460?...I am thinking about doing it to the 460 i just built. Any info or help would be great!

If I am correct stroke on a 460 is 36mm and 064/066/660 is 40mm stroke. So you might just want to check to make sure the piston skirts are the same length, and or the center pin is the same distance from the top of the head. I would think you could trim the skirt and if necessary dome it and make a mean piston for it. I actually need to get one infront of me. Also believe the width of the skirts is wider so if you were planning on porting it you could take the ports wider.

Baileys will give you the measurements for a lot of the pistons. Here's the 046 meteor.

•Stihl 046, MS 460

•Replaces Part Number 1128 030 2009

•Bore 51.96mm

•Height 39.25mm

•Head Type Flat

•Piston Pin 12mm x 35mm x 7mm

•Ring 52mm x 1.2mm (Caber F-Cast GH.F)

•Compression/Pin Top to top of Piston 15.5mm

•Compression/Pin Center to top of Piston 21.5mm

064 specs

•Stihl 064, MS 640

•Replaces Part Number 1122 030 2001

•Bore 51.96mm

•Height 43mm

•Head Type Flat

•Piston Pin 12mm x 33mm x 8mm

•Rings 52mm x 1.5mm (Caber F-Cast GH.F)

•Compression/Pin Top to top of Piston 17mm

•Compression/Pin Center to top of Piston 23mm

I'm in the middle of porting my 460 and noticed there's not alot of room to widen. I'm done with the exhaust port and almost done with the intake. Just took a break for a few. It should wake it up, but I was hoping to be able to go a little wider than I did. I ran into the same problem on my 026 pro. The skirts could be wider in comparison with the transfer ports. There a ways off the edges of the lower and upper transfer ducts. I took the intake/exhaust to the Max just like on my 026 and had no problems with it yet. So it it wise to fit a 064 piston in it? Or just go for stock? What are your wants to go with the 064? Are you running into skirt width problems? Or more looking for a domed or pop up?

I put an 064 piston in my 046, yes it has to be a pop-up, the skirts have to be trimmed and the hole for the wrist pin has to be opened up. But once you get it running its definately worth it. That is if you have easy access to do all of these things.

If anyone has a 455 parts saw, I have one with a hole in the fuel tank. Which is the lower crankcase.

Mike

I would really like to put a 064 piston in mine.....but to go through all that trouble...all though i have heard that it is worth it. I know if i do it that would be the ultimate steep hillside saw...light and a whole bunch of power. Which is why i would like to do it......that and i wanted to do something a little different for this saw.

Is your saw ported already? Mines almost done. Can't wait to run it later today! Yeah sounds like a good amount of time and trouble to put a 064 piston in. Maybe down the road. I wouldn't mind a ported BB Kit though, cheap and easy to do. If for some reason I run into trouble I'm most likely going that way first. Maybe have it decked and do a pop up. That combo should build some power as well.

Is your saw ported already? Mines almost done. Can't wait to run it later today! Yeah sounds like a good amount of time and trouble to put a 064 piston in. Maybe down the road. I wouldn't mind a ported BB Kit though, cheap and easy to do. If for some reason I run into trouble I'm most likely going that way first. Maybe have it decked and do a pop up. That combo should build some power as well.

Somebody told me that a saw with a 064 piston will outrun any ported big bore....but i dont know for sure as i havent ran a saw with a 064 piston in it...yet...lol

Wow that's good to know! Maybe its worth it then! Mine should make good power I ported the thing wide as it will go both sides and lowered the intake floor a Tad. Opened the lower transfers almost to the very bottom, left a wee bit though. Nice smooth transition into them and brought the uppers back as well. Polished the exhaust and port matched the muffler too. I also have dual ported the muffler, which I did before porting the saw. In all we will see what comes of it. I bought the saw a week ago off Craigslist. So far even in stock form I was impressed. Now being ported hope I love it! The 440 I ported screams so this one should too! But if a 064 piston will make it better maybe that should be next. I have a buddy who's a machinist so if I know what exactly needs to happen to fit it he will do it for me. But I know nothing about trying it except what's stated in this thread. Maybe some one can elaborate exactly what needs to happen in order for it to work?

Wow that's good to know! Maybe its worth it then! But if a 064 piston will make it better maybe that should be next. I have a buddy who's a machinist so if I know what exactly needs to happen to fit it he will do it for me. But I know nothing about trying it except what's stated in this thread. Maybe some one can elaborate exactly what needs to happen in order for it to work?

That is what im looking for..lol

Yeah I know. Ha ha ...me too now I guess. I was just checking out the piston and wow no wonder. Its really open. The windows are huge! Looks like there's alot of potential there. With a pop up I bet it makes silly power. Think that's we both seek..lol...

Becareful, the 064 piston skirt could be narrower than the 046/460.............. just like the 066/660 piston.

From the pics it looks wider if anything but looks can be deceiving! If there more narrow than stock 460s than I'm screwed there. I already took the ports to there limits on the stock width. I'm interested in going wider than its now. That would be one of the reasons for a different piston install for me.

Latest posts

Back