Stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a new 460 to the collection. What do you all think of the 460s? What bar length do you recommend?

I think they are great. Besides the price difference between that and stepping up to the 660, I was more than happy to get the 460. We've got the full line from Stihl at work, everything from some old 011AV's to an 088 with a 48"? bar on it, a pair of 460's and a pair of 660's, one with a 24" bar and the other with a 32" on it, and the 460 is still my favorite saw to run hands down.

The 460 will not dissapoint for sure. Given your location, I would assume you are in average sized hardwood, and would say 20"-25" bars are the most common for that application. For me 20" is more handy all around, the 25" goes on when I will be in bigger trunk wood or falling that size trees all day. I would say get them both. You can go bigger too, but this is where I would start.

MS460 is a top of the line saw that flat out performs. I have a 25” b/c on mine and it rips through hardwood without a hitch. The balance will surprise you for a larger saw. A major plus to ones arsenal. :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

+1
the stihl 460 is really a great saw i have mine for a while now and don't know why i waited so long to buy one.... go get it and enjoy 20" or 24" bar

:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

one of the best saws ever made!!!!

Sold mine and kept my 046...

it's hard to beat a 260/460 combo....

Last edited:
I train and manage conservation corps crews. Most of these kids cant even spell chainsaw when we get them. The 460 is the only saw they seem to not be able to burn up. I spend allot of time replacing pistons and cylinders in our 260's. I figure if they cant break it it must be a great saw.

I think the 25" is just right for the 460. If you want a 20" bar saw I'd go for a 440 or 361. If in bigger stuff it should do well with a 28" , probably not bad with 32". Cutting thick limbs and bucking logs I like the way skip chain works. If doing a lot of smaller limbs I think full comp chain is smoother.

Good idea, accept if you're cutting stumps off low the wrap handle is a pain.

If you don't have stump grinder, wrap handles are great for another thing "Can't you cut it any lower?" Your reply "No I can't" And show them, the wrap will keep the saw above the ground. Perfect.

Not for nothing, but here is 3-4 pages of a lot of people recommending the 460

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=69287

It was somewhere around page 2-3 before I was pretty sure the new saw was going to be the 460. I think by page 4 there was no doubt.

I will be buying the 460 as soon as I get the time to get in to a dealer. Thanks to all the fine people who helped me in that thread.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATwRl-niIO8&feature=related

Sweet, but I'm so glad we are not getting the full brims anymore. And what freak hangs his arse out in front of someone's cutting saw???

Last edited:
The 046 and 460 are great saws, definetly my favorite. You can cut all day and handle almost anything...It's a truly versatile saw.

Latest posts

Back