Stihl 461 R crazy for homeowner saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add to what I said earlier my grandpa taught me that if you want to do something buy the best tools you can afford, take care of them, learn from the best you can find to teach you, and understand they know more than you do. I have learned that very few people can argue the merits of this philosophy. If a ms461r is the best you can afford and you want to do the job properly then have at it.

I have several smaller chainsaws.. i really only like top handle and wrap handle chainsaws.. looking for an overall larger saw for cutting up the occasional tree into pieces... i have a good friend with an old stihl 260 that i have used.. it has very low power in my opinion. Plus i have large hands and really prefer a wrap handle design.. been seeing discussions on stihl 461 vs 462 saws.. and think the plain carb saw might be better long term. I would want a 20 inch bar.. the 362 is 200 bucks less but also less power .. so is the 461 just too much saw for hanging out at home ??

I am a large man and have been running chainsaws a long time.. so i am familiar with running a saw safely...

Have you considered a 661 or an 880? I haven’t run a 461, but I do have an 044 and 440 magnum and they are quite a bit more saw than my 362CM. As for 026/260/261, I’m presently selling mine (261cm) because it’s just in this narrow gap between my 201T and 362.

My 044 is mildly modified and it pulls a 25” full comp VERY WELL! I think it’s the wrap handle...

What you need is a 2 saw plan. A 550xp or MS261 for the 90% of tree cutting you will do and a MS461/MS660/385XP for the other 10%. I don't use saws enough to justify a new purchase so I bought a used 550xp and a used 385XP from one of our great members here for less than a new MS461. I cut up 2-6 trees a year. When I needed a repair/service for my used saws I found another great member here that I can go to for that who is close.

And to the guy who said you can’t cut big wood with a small saw, it’s pretty easy to dump a six footer with a 32 inch bar, which is small in that size wood. It’s all relative.

This just meant as a joke....an adaptation of somebody once telling me you can drive a fast car slow, but can't drive a slow car fast.

Of course if you have the time, skill, and patience you could cut 36" tree down with a electric saw, but who's gonna do that?! Lol

I will go to my stihl shop locally and look at it again.. i need to buy a bar and chains asap anyway.. i just hate always having too little saw... great for tree work.. great for trimming.. but at times the smaller saws just seem small.
I find the 461 a bit heavy and awkward when not cutting large diameter logs . You might be better off with an MS 440m or 044 I have all of them and I prefer the 044 power to weight over any in that class. The 461 might be better on real large stuff but I don't know if that is most likely to be what you are cutting all the time. I have a 440 for sale click on the link in my sig it is all original and un molested.

Let experience be your guide, you say you’ve used saws but my question is, have you ever used a bigger saw? If not, I suggest renting one for a weekend to see if it fits in with your needs. You say your 60 so the weight of a larger saw won’t be felt much while in use, but the next day you will definitely feel the difference. Most on this site are chainsaw junkies so of course the answer is just grab one up, but beware of CAD, it’s real and you won’t even know it’s happening, next thing you know, there’s 10 saws in the garage! Good luck!

Wrap handles are simply extra weight if you're not falling IMO...pure vanity for a firewood saw. It's your money but when you complain about having bad knees, and then want a feature that adds weight with no real benefit, it doesn't make sense.

20" bar on a 70cc saw to 'make it lighter' is pointless also...just get a lighter saw...any 60cc saw will run a 20" bar without any issue and be lighter at the same time.

So if you want the 461R to look like a badass, then get it, nobody here cares. If you really want to look like a bad ass though, get a 661 or a 395.

The equation is speed vs weight. If you’ve got good sized wood I’d grab a 70cc saw before a 60cc saw every time. I just bucked up an ash tree that fell on my property. Maxed out a 25” bar and my ms460 just zipped right through it. My ms361 would have gotten the job done but far slower. I have a property with very large old ash, oak, cherry, mulberry and hickory trees so a bigger saw comes in handy.

461 w/ a light weight bar is a nice option, 461 is tough as nails. It doesn't filter very well nor oil very well but the R version should fix the oiling. 372's are nice too but 562 might be your best bet if you wanna only use a 20" bar. The whole need/want thing is your call. Probably half the guys here have way too many saws and way bigger saws then they need(myself included). If you want it and can still keep food on the table go for it.

I find the 461 a bit heavy and awkward when not cutting large diameter logs . You might be better off with an MS 440m or 044 I have all of them and I prefer the 044 power to weight over any in that class. The 461 might be better on real large stuff but I don't know if that is most likely to be what you are cutting all the time. I have a 440 for sale click on the link in my sig it is all original and un molested.

I agree with Lone Wolf. I have run nearly all Stihl and Husqvarna and for me at least, the 044 metal tag is perfect, close to power of the 460/461/462 but just feels lighter and less vibration. I run a 550xp sometimes or 661 for real large stuff but the majority is the 044 so i have sold off many other saws now. And if you like the sound of the saw, get the older version, it sounds best, or get a newer looking one with the slant fin non-decomp cylinder

Any of the name brand 70cc saws are awesome that were manufactured since the early 90's and on.. I prefer the 044 or 372oe. But they are all great. The thing is take the time to find a great deal... No rush. Even if you just use it for firewood it will cut your time in half and put a smile on your face :) Don't be afraid to walk away from a saw that you aren't sure about. And don't get hung up on one saw only idea. My fav is probably a slant fin 12mm 044. But the MS440 or 10mm 044 are close enough that it doesn't matter much to me.

Since you mentioned you have smaller saws, if you want a dedicated bucking saw I would absolutely go with the 461. Just remember with the wrap handle you will be limited if you need to do any stumping as the wrap will get in the way.

Back