Stihl 500i can you fit a larger bar than the 25 inch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eraser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, after advise, and don't do it is not really an option, I have been given a large gum tree to cut down and keep the wood, my 25 inch bar is not long enough, even if I cut from both sides. thinking of fitting either a 32 inch or 36 inch bar. then the question is semi skip or full skip chisel chain. any sensible advice gratefully accepted.

I sold my ms660 and added to it to buy a 500i with the e-lite 36" bar and yellow chain. Nowhere close in torque. I would guess a 25"-28" bar and chain would be a phenomenal combination but if you run a 36" bar and chain might want to look at full skip it doesn't have the torque to run full comp like a 660

The saw pulls and oils a 36” with skip chain and 7t sprocket just fine. Just don’t try to push it, let the saw pull itself through the cut. As stated, a 24-28” is the ideal bar for the 500 and I would agree.
trying to force the saw will lead to it overheating and creating starting problems.

Not to high jack thread but,
Does anything have to be changed out going from a .050 to a .063 bar and chain?

yes it is, but stihl only recommend the 25 inch bar, so I thought I would ask for proper advice n this site. I personally think it will handle whatever I put on it, the saw is awesome.
Eraser, I have a Stihl 038 and put a 25" bar on it. Came with an 18". Handles the 25" with a chisel chain with no problems. I would think you could put a 40" on that 500 with no problem. Good luck. Happy New Year. jmho OT :)

Eraser, I have a Stihl 038 and put a 25" bar on it. Came with an 18". Handles the 25" with a chisel chain with no problems. I would think you could put a 40" on that 500 with no problem. Good luck. Happy New Year. jmho OT :)
You're going to have oiling issues with anything over 36", but for one cut it will be all right.

yes it is, but stihl only recommend the 25 inch bar, so I thought I would ask for proper advice n this site. I personally think it will handle whatever I put on it, the saw is awesome.
stihl only recommends a 25 on the 661 too

One outfit I haul for runs a 36" on a 500i, what the factory suggests, isn't exactly hard and fast rules, personally I like a 32" bar, and every 500i I've ran has had plenty of snooce to pull it.

Back