Stihl advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodchuckVT

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays to all!! I am considering buying myself a belated Christmas present.
I would like to purchase a new 310 or 390. I would LOVE a 361 or 362, but the extra $200 puts them out of my reach. I am not a pro, but like to cut firewood{5 to 8 cords a year}.
Any advice on either saw? Pros and cons? Being the same weight and only $50, the 390 seems like a better choice. How is the anti-vibe on these compared to the new system? Lots of questions, SORRY!
Thanx, VT. Woodchuck

I'm with Brad. I'd much rather have a new 359 or even a used 361 over a 390. Not that the 390 is "bad", it's just that the others would be better for long term use. Nothing wrong with a 390, it's just not a 359 or a 361.

I'm no pro and was looking at a 390 before my more experienced friends talked me into the 361. I am extremely happy I listened to them, the pro saw is worth the extra $100 IMO.

If you cant afford a new one poke around here in the for sale forum. I just saw a barely used MS361 for sale for $450 a few days ago. Go with the pro saw if you can swing it, you won't be disappointed.

Woodchuck,

I don't know if it sold or not but back a couple of pages in the trading post there is a sweet looking 361 for $450.00.
I would rather have it than a MS390.

That being said, there is a reason that the 029-039/MS290-310-390 is Stlhl's best selling saw ever.
They are a good saw for the money and anyone who says otherwise is full of beans.
We here at the ArboristSite often get caught up in the "fastest, lightest, smoothest, newest, yada yada" and forget that most of us will spend more time on the trigger in a month, than the VAST majority of the world will in two lifetimes.
MOST of the world couldn't give a sheeit about how easy a saw is to take apart and modify. It simply is a non-issue with most people. If you are one of those people then by all means, buy yourself a MS390 and never look back.
They are a GREAT firewood saw for those of us who want a good saw for the money and aren't tinkerers.

Mike

Hey man both of those will do what you want. BUT find you a nice used 044 and you'll have all the saw you will ever need. Slap a 25" bar on that baby and hold on and never look back. 044 is in book the best saw Stihl ever made you can limb trim fall or just do anything with um. They can be had fairly cheap if you look around. A lot of folks that have them don't get rid of um they like um so good, me included.

I have a 359 modded Huskey and it's ok but I like the extra power of a 044.

Woodchuck,

I don't know if it sold or not but back a couple of pages in the trading post there is a sweet looking 361 for $450.00.
I would rather have it than a MS390.

That being said, there is a reason that the 029-039/MS290-310-390 is Stlhl's best selling saw ever.
They are a good saw for the money and anyone who says otherwise is full of beans.
We here at the ArboristSite often get caught up in the "fastest, lightest, smoothest, newest, yada yada" and forget that most of us will spend more time on the trigger in a month, than the VAST majority of the world will in two lifetimes.
MOST of the world couldn't give a sheeit about how easy a saw is to take apart and modify. It simply is a non-issue with most people. If you are one of those people then by all means, buy yourself a MS390 and never look back.
They are a GREAT firewood saw for those of us who want a good saw for the money and aren't tinkerers.

Mike

I could not agree more - not a word too much and not a word missing in this post = REP!

Thanx Guys

Thanx, As much as I would like a 361 or the Husky, Santa did not leave me much money. A used saw {I have several} has no warranty. I think I will ponder this for a few more days and keep posted of your advice. Thanks Alot!! Awesome Site and members! Woodchuck

Thanx, As much as I would like a 361 or the Husky, Santa did not leave me much money. A used saw {I have several} has no warranty. I think I will ponder this for a few more days and keep posted of your advice. Thanks Alot!! Awesome Site and members! Woodchuck

Do not dispair my friend it will come to you one day. I got my 044 from a logger who used it daily for ten yrs. so you know it is well used but looked after. He made his living with it. I have not had one problem with this saw since I got it. I guess I've just got hold of good used ones. He got smart and got a DOLMAR it will do it all saw. He's been trying to buy back the 044 ever since but no dice. Like they say you live and learn. All the stuff I've ever had that had a warranty will run good till it runs out then it will fly all to bits, so it don't mean much to us anyhow. Saw Safe,
Joe

yikes 361 snake oil sales

me i say go for the 390 and a 25" bar and semi skip chain. run a non synthetic 50-1 mix and maintain the saw and it will last along time. i have put sometime on a 390 of my bil's and it is a good saw. the 390 is no pro saw but if i as pro hand faller had to own a firewood saw the 390 would be it,of course i would mod the muffler first.
:givebeer:

Do not dispair my friend it will come to you one day. I got my 044 from a logger who used it daily for ten yrs. so you know it is well used but looked after. He made his living with it. I have not had one problem with this saw since I got it. I guess I've just got hold of good used ones. He got smart and got a DOLMAR it will do it all saw. He's been trying to buy back the 044 ever since but no dice. Like they say you live and learn. All the stuff I've ever had that had a warranty will run good till it runs out then it will fly all to bits, so it don't mean much to us anyhow. Saw Safe,
Joe

Well said Joe. 029/290s are great saws. I sold my 029 for a 044. Not that much difference in weight but the power is crazy. Used saws are a toss up though. The 290/310/390 series are being replaced by the 311/391. The 311/391 are improved versions with better antivibe, air filtration and strato charged.

Check our classifieds also. Buy from a respected member and you will get a good used saw. There were some 7900s there, Tom's and another guy. I know Tom's is like new. Food for thought.:D:D:D

i don't care much for the non pro stihl saws, i had a couple of them over the years mainly because i got deals on them. otherwise i would have went with something else.

if you can afford to spring for the pro/industrial stihls that would be the way to go on a new saw. they just hold up much better!

the 046/460 is sort of a classic.

a good used 044 or 440 could also be a great saw for not too much money.

some new 6401 makitas are going for $499 or so new with the 7900s going for a bit more. they should be good saws as their the same make as dolmar.

those farm/ranch/homeowner saws? --don't get me started!-LOL!

I agree with your thoughts on used saws. I hate buying stuff used but hey if the deal is good enough buy it up. There is an 036 pro for sale here by me for 150$$$$ thats pretty cheap. keep your eye on the swap sheets or craigs list. if you want buy the 390 i bet it will last you a long time.

Although you would not have a warranty on a used 361, chances are that you would never need it anyway. The 361 is a reliable saw as you can get. I wouldn't hesitate one minute in buying a good used one, and as other have said, would buy a used 361 over a new 290, 310, 390. I think you will be money ahead in the long run. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back