Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different fuel line failure---
036 line... 3yrs at my cabin as an emergency saw. It split right at the fuel filter. We noticed it after it had a high idle a few weeks ago.
It did more sitting in fuel (ethanol free) than most saws but still--- it should not have split.
So... don't use em.

This was really an experiment for me. I knew that it'd probably fail but now I have a timeline on the failure (3yrs). The saw maybe gets two tanks a year ran thru it.

Different fuel line failure---
036 line... 3yrs at my cabin as an emergency saw. It split right at the fuel filter. We noticed it after it had a high idle a few weeks ago.
It did more sitting in fuel (ethanol free) than most saws but still--- it should not have split.
So... don't use em.
I use them occasionally but I don't cut wood that often anymore and I do have about 35 chainsaws...
Normally none of mine sit with fuel in them...

I am having a stihl 044 getting send back because starter paw on the made in China pull start failed. I have been having bad luck with Chinese parts lately. Including a bearing with a too small seal pocket on an 028.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having a stihl 044 getting send back because starter paw on the made in China pull start failed. I have been having bad luck with Chinese parts lately. Including a bearing with a too small seal pocket on an 028.

I'm trying one of those recoils as well. I'll report back after a while.

If your 044 doesn't have a de-comp I would imagine you will have starter problems and shoulder problems as well. I used to own one of those and got rid of it rather quickly because of the kick back. I have an aftermarket recoil on my MS250 and it's very well up to the task. I have one also on a 390 and no problems there either.

If your 044 doesn't have a de-comp I would imagine you will have starter problems and shoulder problems as well. I used to own one of those and got rid of it rather quickly because of the kick back. I have an aftermarket recoil on my MS250 and it's very well up to the task. I have one also on a 390 and no problems there either.

It does have a de-comp. everything worked great before I shipped it.

Take the aftermarket rewind cover, replace the pawls with OEM and install a Elasto Start rope kit. I believe you will find everything will be OK then.

Take the aftermarket rewind cover, replace the pawls with OEM and install a Elasto Start rope kit. I believe you will find everything will be OK then.
The first 460 recoil is still alive. Naturally I tried a second for a 440/-- failed within a tank.

The pawls, plastic pulley, washer, spring clip, and spring are all shot. What failed first? The saw was running ok, tried to restart and just pulled the string with no tension.
The pulley does have wear marks. The spring was bent over on itself in the housing. The flywheel ate part if the pulley and the spring steel clip was cut in two.

Kinda on or off the subject but it appears that possibly our supplier of cheap aftermarket parts may no longer be much of a trading partner if they don't cooperate with our government on matters of our national security (and theirs.)

IMO, the bottom ends fared really well. While there were occasional problems with other bearings, the only one that regularly had a problem is the Piston Pin bearing.

Thanks.. Which brings a REAL WONDERING QUESTION on bearings in general.. Anyone have issues with using a quality bearing like

NACHI JAPANESE bearing
FAG or other name brand bearings ??

Have to ask

HL supply has Tecomec 036 piston kits for $ 6.33. I bought 3. The last ones I got looked great. Has anyone used any of these?

Latest posts

Back