Stihl bar and chain on an Echo saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Farr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Stihl finally died and is beyond repair. Can the Still bar and chain be used on an Echo? The Stihl bar appears to fit. I'm just unsure about about the Stihl chain compatibility with the Echo drive sprocket.

Thanks. The pitch and gauge of my Stihl and Echo bars are the same. (3/8" / 0.50"). I wouldn't put a Stihl chain on a Echo bar. I want to use the Stihl bar and Stihl chain on the Echo saw. The portion of the chain drive links that ride in the bar are slightly different between Stihl and Echo chains. The guide bar studs and chain tension adjustment are compatible. My only concern is the compatibility of the Stihl chain on the Echo drive sprocket.

Well, nothing like a dry fit. The oiler holes and tension locations line up so the bar and chain would work except that the drive links on the Stihl chain are enough different from the Echo chain that the Stihl doesn't mesh properly with clutch drive sprocket. Oh well, nothing ventured......

The two saws are Stihl MS290 w/Rollamatic bar and Echo CS-590 w/Timberwolf Pro-lite bar. I'll try to get some clear pics of the drive links on each chain.

I use a 16" Forester brand bar with 3/8" full chisel chain, .050" gauge, 60 drivers with the Stihl D025 mount on my Echo CS600P which has the D176 mount. You'll need to use a mount adapter but I just filled down two sides (opposite) of 8MM x 1.25" hex nuts and they worked fine to hold the bar in place. The oil holes lined up on the D025 bar to my Echo without any problems. I also like the ability to use the D025 20" bar with a 72 driver chain, which is much more available and lower cost than the factory Echo 70 driver bar on the CS590/600 series saws. I would use your current Stihl bar on the CS590 and either get an adapter or mod the 8mm nuts like I did.

Not sure about the bigger saws but i put a Stihl bar on my Echo 2511TS and i had to make the adjuster hole a little longer for the chain to fit and it oils fine. This is a 12" bar though so i don't know how a longer bar would oil.

Latest posts

Back