Stihl bar and chain on Husky saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright before i get it from both sides here is why i want to do this

I have a bunch of chains and a few bars for my Stihl 046

Im looking to buy a 346XP because in my opinion its better than the 260

So back to my question can i setup a 346XP using 3/8 stihl chain and bar?

I will keep looking but I cant find the site that has the mount pattern and sizes for the bars, but I believe the Stihl uses a different size on the notch in the bar, and I dont have a husky here to check the spot for the oiler to line up to get oil in the bar.
AH, its Mikes site that has it, go to the bar mount pattern section. Mikes site
#17 is a Husky mount
#31 is a Stihl Pro mount

Last edited:
The husky 346 uses an 8.2 mm bar mounting slot, which is smaller than the 12.1 used for stihl pro saws. that idea is a no go. chain will interchange easily, but bars wont.

bat

I would not give up just yet. In the past, there was an s-shaped spacer that Stihl supplied. Installed around the smaller bar studs, this filled the gap and you could put a Stihl bar on many other saws. I don't believe I have any more, but I bet someone out there either makes the same type of spacer, or still has them. It really wasn't anything that fancy, just filled in the space.

It's not hard to adapt bars. I fit a large-mount Stihl to my 2100 by putting bushings on the studs and drilling out the oiler and adjustment holes. It helps when you have the correct bar for the saw when laying everything out.

Nevermind that one adjuster hole won't quite reach the adjuster and that the oiler holes are a bit too far back. Easily remedied.

Chris B.

i have fit bars to saws before. i put a stihl 044 bar on a hva 2100 and 394 by using lock washers and an angle grinder. the lock washers can be ground flat on 2 sides to fit the bigger slot.

this weekend i modified the same bar to fit an 090.. i had to use the cutting torch to extend the slot, cut off the end of the bar, an angle grinder to widen the slot, and a drill to make new holes for the oiler and chain tension adjuster.

where there is a will, there is a way. but you have to start with a bar that is the correct gauge, ie .050, .058, or .063. Also, older oregon bars are harder steel and harder to modify than new GB bars, which use softer steel.

mark

bwalker said:
the bar for a 346 is tail less isnt it. I would say there is now way it will work. besides the 346 will be much happier with .325 chain.

If you are referring to a open-ended slot like the small Huskies then no it is not tail-less.

Bill

Latest posts

Back