Stihl bar mount question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
84DL on a 24" Husky bar is fine with an 8 pin.
You caught my eye and should reply. In the 80's I bought my first of 4 new stihl 056 MAGNUM II saws It was a lower ser # saw .We had 2 brothers that loved working on Stihl and I had a Kill switch not working. When all was said and done They commented that my saw had 8 teeth on the rim and if I recollect It was an upgrade . Question I never found an answer to "upgrade from what?" I believe the Magnum was originally a 7 tooth rim and the "BHP" was hindered by speed as the powerhead had power in reserve. I wonder at times if this is the explanation for the 85 vs. 84 DL issue. Your comment on Husky infers that Husky designed their saw around the bar and Stihl kinda Miscalculated and You get the Idea. Thank you for the comment it helps Anyone else with Input -yer welcome too.

I can't remember, but I did have some Oregon 24" bars that were marked 84DL, but I was at the end of the adjustment very quickly... I can't remember if the saw had a 7 or 8 pin drive for certain, but my memory tells me I didn't have ANY 7 pins at the time... this was about 5 or 6 years ago though.

I can't remember, but I did have some Oregon 24" bars that were marked 84DL, but I was at the end of the adjustment very quickly... I can't remember if the saw had a 7 or 8 pin drive for certain, but my memory tells me I didn't have ANY 7 pins at the time... this was about 5 or 6 years ago though.
I understand that Memory thing ,, I was beginning to thimk the 84/85 DL thing was an Oregon (powermatch) thing but found a Stihl bar w 84 DL on it and It "Refreshed my Memory from 20 Yrs. ago.
As for pin # Maybe Geometry and Math are getting their facts in the formula.

well.. besides that Memory thing... I remember what I consider 'important'.. and since I didn't have CAD at the time, it fell into the 'unimportant' category, so I forgot it

I learn something every day. I like this. One thing to add is : I have several Stihl 056 Magnum II saws They are slower than the "NEWER" saws and run considerably slower but really have the torque. Stihl put an 8 tooth rim instead of the 7 that most saws run. I run a 24" 63 ga bar most of the time and the bar designates 84 DL but I always put a chain on with 85 DL due to the rim sprocket having the extra tooth. I have always assumed bars designate Drive Links with 7 tooth spur or rim drives.

The difference between 7- and 8-pin usually isn't enough to change the needed dl count - but sometimes it is...

Back