Stihl Bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben (and Fred also), how many tips have you blown out in the last year? hmmm? :confused:

Just pointing out that the people blowing out the most tips are also the same people who grease their tips all the time. Now maybe a kid doing the lawncare at his dad's fishing camp in Canada might cut more wood than a climber in Florida and therefore might have good reason to have tips fail on him all the time. But I don't know. All I can do is share what works for me, and what works for me is blowing out the tips with air, not grease.

Just pointing out that the people blowing out the most tips are also the same people who grease their tips all the time.
Brian, you have no way of substantiating this.

Now maybe a kid doing the lawncare at his dad's fishing camp in Canada might cut more wood than a climber in
Brian, How many cord do you cut in a year while swinging in a tree?
BTW Brian, I liked you better "when you hated the person you had become" LOL.:laugh:
In all seriousness, I dont do lawncare as we dont have any lawns. I also think if you do a little searching you will find that I am the president of the corporation in question. Nice try though.

If you haven't lost a tip due to gritty/dirty environment, then grease wouldn't help you much. The bar oil will lube the bearings in the tip enough. If you get much dirt/sand/etc in the wood, then a little grease is you friend. I realize if it is too dirty/sandy environment, then a hard nose bar should be used. I grease mine tips after every use. Have cut a ton of dirty stuff in the past. I have never lost a tip due to greasing. I never lost a tip while working in tree service either, being a groundsman. I normally cut about 25 cords of firewood a year. I guess, stick with what works, but if I cut all day on the weekends without greasing a tip, more than likely I would need a replacment tip.

skwerl said:
Fred how many tips have you blown out in the last year? hmmm? :confused:

QUOTE]

None I grease. The inlaws go through a ton and don't. Mostly cutting Red Oak, Walnut, and Hickory.

I think Lakeside hit the nail on the head. Six saws doing six trucks of sticks a day. Of course not all saws run everyday.

Fred

I don't cut for a living

We log on average 15mbf per day plus pulpwood and do NOT grease our bars for the very reason brian mentioned. We run stihl bars and stihl and oregon chain ( I like the stihl better but I get a better price on the oregon chain). When I was running huskys I used oregon powermatch bars as well as GB Ti bars, the GB's are better than the oregon bars in my opinion and cost the same locally. Overall? I would have to say the stihl bars are better, we have never had a tip fail on us with any of the bars, we've bent them and crushed them but that is not related to not having greased them.

I replied to a thread about bars before on here, and as a matter of fast I just lost an oregon tip this week. That makes three tips in less than three months, and probably half of the time I was running an Arbor Pro bar with the same tip. It hasn't failed, and I don't know why, it is the same dog gone tip. I love windsors, always have. Since oregon took the over I haven't found one in this area. I wanted one in june when I ordered my 385 and I got a call saying that they didn't know when they were gonna get any.
mike

bwalker said:
I have wondered about doing this, but someone said that Stihls tip was sealed. Is this true?
As for bars. The orange GB's are decent, but the tips are not the best. The made in Canada Windsors have decent tips but soft rails. The Oregon powermatches have soft rails and the tips suck. I in fact have one in the garage right now that didnt make it through 10 cord of firewood before it went south.

The new stihl bars without the holes are running a sealed bearing. No need to grease according to dealer. Just bought a new stihl bar-20 bucks on ebay plus shipping. Time will tell.

I for one with the sub-par oregon bars I looked at Cannon bars and the adapters that they make for using stihl bars on other mounts. If I can't find some windsors, I will be buying one or more very soon.

mike385 said:
I for one with the sub-par oregon bars I looked at Cannon bars and the adapters that they make for using stihl bars on other mounts. If I can't find some windsors, I will be buying one or more very soon.
I believe Cannon bars use Oregon tips.
I have never had a Stihl ES bar go south and they are all I use on my Stihls.
The old Windsors where good, but the new ones are made at the same plant as Oregons.

Quote from the Stihl 2005 Catalog, page 39

"Concealed inside the bar nose, the sprocket on the Stihl Rollomatic E Standard is securely protected against corrosive and abrasive dirt"

then in bold (they printed it bold), the next sentence:

"Stihl guide bars don't need to be greased"

more:
The ES and E bars use the same sprocket. The ES are SOLID bars with induction hardened rails, and the E (standard) are a three piece laminated lighter weight design.

Lakeside53 said:
Mr. said:
Which one was on the head?

Also, if it's corrosion is a problem, how about a squirt of 950 or WD 40 now and then.

The type of wood and I thought you mentioned abuse, but you didn't.

I think those are big factors.

I am wearing out a Sandvik bar right now. Just kidding. I don't wear out bars.

Fred

Lakeside53 said:
Quote from the Stihl 2005 Catalog, page 39

"Concealed inside the bar nose, the sprocket on the Stihl Rollomatic E Standard is securely protected against corrosive and abrasive dirt"

then in bold (they printed it bold), the next sentence:

"Stihl guide bars don't need to be greased"

more:
The ES and E bars use the same sprocket. The ES are SOLID bars with induction hardened rails, and the E (standard) are a three piece laminated lighter weight design.

I promise I won't grease yours. Do what works for you. We do use oregon chain exclusively.

Fred

I grease. The original bar on my 034 super has been greased every time it's out. Don't know how many chains it went through, but it's a boatload. Parked the bar because it's way too sloppy. (a .058 chain fits a .050 bar!!) Tip is still good.

They told us in our prologger course that the noise the sprocket makes does more damage to your hearing then the motor! High frequency I guess. :spam:

Back