Stihl Bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl has an excellent fastener kit that seems to include about 95% of the T27 screws I use regularly. It can be ordered from Stihl as P/N 5910-007-1060. It does not have a RECOMMENDED retail price, but its dealer cost is $47.24. This assortment has 24 different nuts, metric screws, and DG type plastic tapping screws with 5-10 of each type in a stylish plastic tray. Dealers: ask your territory manager to GIVE you one of these assortments for your shop- they usually will- they have a line item in their budgets for giveaways to dealers, but you have to ask. This same rule applies to many Stihl accessories and goodies- they almost always have some of these in their trucks. At worst, they'll say no.

We use Mcmaster-Carr at work and they really do seem to stock darn near everything...the trade off is the shipping is kinda slow and their prices aren't the greatest...

Stihldoc said:
Stihl has an excellent fastener kit that seems to include about 95% of the T27 screws I use regularly. It can be ordered from Stihl as P/N 5910-007-1060. It does not have a RECOMMENDED retail price, but its dealer cost is $47.24. This assortment has 24 different nuts, metric screws, and DG type plastic tapping screws with 5-10 of each type in a stylish plastic tray. Dealers: ask your territory manager to GIVE you one of these assortments for your shop- they usually will- they have a line item in their budgets for giveaways to dealers, but you have to ask. This same rule applies to many Stihl accessories and goodies- they almost always have some of these in their trucks. At worst, they'll say no.

As a frame of reference for the non-Stihl techs, a typical M5 fastner from Stihl has an MSRP of about 65 cents. When I used to buy them for a local dealer, he charged me $1.00, which isn't so bad unless you need a lot of them.

Dan, this won't help you in the UK, but on this side of the pond I find that Sears Hardware (not the full blown Sears stores) has a really good selection of bolts, etc. Unfortunately they don't seem to stock the long bolts needed for rear handles and such. This may've been asked, but why does Stihl use torx instead of hex? The hex bolts are much more common, at least in my limited experience. Aw ra best...Chris J.

The torx bolt are infinitely better than the hex for the small sizes..... Apart from having gripers machined into the underside of the head, the Torx head never strips out... I have to tear out old hex blots all the time, and the slightest wear on the tool or in the socket (from an old tool or abuse) and they slip. If you decode the DIN numbers stamped into the heads, you'll find most of these are industrial bolts, not the wimpy grade 5 used on many other saws...

It was they best thing Stihl ever did.... and they didn't do it to make money from end users who loose bolts.

I picked up MS660 with a few bolts missing. Mainly looking for the muffler bolts and a few for the recoil. Should I just order from the dealer or can I get a whole saw kit? Been looking around and not real promising. I did see a "kit" on the ebay, looks decent ....http://www.ebay.com/itm/360881816766

Even on some of the bolts I removed, the "grippers" ar pretty worn down. And as stated above, I hate working on something that has the wrong screws/bolts on.

I know, old thread.......will give some "rep" to the OP........not sure what that means, before my time, just read that a lot in old threads.....lol. Thanks for replies!!!!!!

5910 007 1061 is the number I get. Whenever I scrap a saw/trimmer I get all the usable bits and toss them in a box. Does not take long to have a box full of screws. If you are in good with a dealer no reason they would not give you cost. Just have them add it onto their parts order.

stihl used to make a smaller t 27 screwdriver 5910 890 2302 T27x150 but it is nla. now you have to used 0812 540 1112 Socket, T27x140 or 0812 542 2104 Socket, T27x125

5910 007 1060 that is the part number for the assortment bolt kit
cost is 59.05
dealer cost is 35.43

I'm sick of getting saws that people have either lost half the bolts or they've replaced them with an assortment of different bolt heads.

I want to buy a quantity of bolts for predominantly Stihls, so I'm trying to find the ones that need a T27 torx drive. Can someone tell me the correct terminology for these? Are they bolts, set screws, machine screws?

I think they are M6 thread, but what would they be called? cap head torx or what?

Cheers,

Dan
torx head M6 machine screws
And you can get them from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...229807?hash=item5d3365372f:g:rlYAAOSwd0BV4ga0
This they are S.S. you never have to worry get rusted.

Please do not fill my inbox. Please. I know where stihl fasteners are made. I've been working on this for a while. The company that makes the fasteners employs both of my girlfriends parents. I'm working on it guys.

I never had any problem getting to the cylinder bolts. I use a craftsman t27 t bar. I would much rather use ribbed allen bolts though. I have had bad luck on other equipment with torx screws stripping out. It is just like saying that a 6 point wrench is less prone to round a bolt compared to a 12 point the same logic can be applied to torx vs allen.

Please do not fill my inbox. Please. I know where stihl fasteners are made. I've been working on this for a while. The company that makes the fasteners employs both of my girlfriends parents. I'm working on it guys.

Keep us posted. I'm always in for a deal on fasteners. I never like spending 1.00 each and more at the dealer. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. I buy what I can -- where I can. I'm in for a good deal on fasteners!

Latest posts

Back