STIHL Chain question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescue1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all...
So I need some help with a STIHL Semi chisel 20 inch 3/8 non safety chain that is driving me crazy. I cut dead, sometimes dirty wood mostly and have always used the rapid, or full chisel version of this chain with great luck. Last year I purchased the Semi thinking I should get more cutting time as we were getting into some rough oak. As I remember it, right out of the box the chain cut great.

Onto sharpening, I use the STIHL files for touch ups and the northern grinder and have had good luck with the full chisel chains, getting them cutting better than new. I did the same on the Semi, following all angles as prescribed by STIHL. So when I go into the woods, the saw would cut great, big shavings, then after about 10-20 minutes it starts spitting small pieces of dust and it barely cuts. I figured maybe I hit something, put the Full chisel on and continued my day with no issues. I re-sharpened it with the grinder, and head out another day. Same outcome, I didn't hit anything, same story. Again, tried sharpening it two more times, even slightly changed an angle, same story. I would like some insight as to what is happening. At this point the full chisel works great for me, even with dirty wood so I will most likely stick with what works and makes me happy, however I have this chain that is sitting there doing nothing and would like to use it till I can no longer..

I know, odd problem but figured I would ask before it heads to the scrap pile.....:blob2: Thank you again for the help :blob5:

I use both rmc semi and rsc full. The rmc semi chisel always stays sharper longer than full chisel for me.

Something ain't right with your situation. :msp_confused: Likely in the sharpening, I use files, never ever use a grinder. I tend to file a little deeper and get a good hook in the cutter.

Sounds like the chain is too soft, but that would almost be impossible. Have you checked the rakers? They may need to come down a tad more.

Make sure you dont grind on them too long, just bump the in quick pulses so as not to heat up the metal and loose the temper. If the temper is out of the metal the edge on the cutter wont hold.

Not sure I can explain what the issue is, but I would think if the rakers were too high you would not be able to cut for 10-20 minutes before it would start throwing sawdust.

Thank you guys for all the replys, much appreciated...

I did check the rakers and they were set with the STIHL tool. They were brought down a bit on the last sharpening.

I have a feeling the overheating with the grinder may be an issue, it's the only thing I can think of. I try to be quick, and maybe because the angles are different on the Semi than the Full, I am not sure how, but maybe it heats the tooth up more. I have noticed a higher temp chain with the Semi than the Full, so I will give it one more shot and see how it goes. Thanks again all...:rock:

Burn

Are you being careful not to burn the cutting edges when you are grinding the chain? If you see discoloring on the cutting edges you may be burning the cutters....easy to do with a grinder.

After grinding a tooth feel with the edge of your fingernail for any sign of a burr on the back of the edge. If the grinder wheel gets loaded up then it will overheat the tooth and leave a hard burr on the back of the tooth edge. I always make sure the teeth are squeacky clean before filing or grinding. A sharp photo of a tooth might be helpful here.

I use both rmc semi and rsc full. The rmc semi chisel always stays sharper longer than full chisel for me.

i always used full and semi chisel on my saws and haven't had a problem out of them yet. but i cut mostly green wood though.

When I set up the grinder ,I took a new chain and put it in the clamp ,then adjusted the grinder to perfectly fit the chain tooth.Then wrote doun the settings for that chain type and size.My settings did not match the ones on the stihl info that comes with a new chain,but they come out just like the factory grind.If you have a new chain, see if it matches your wheel when you are set to the stihl specs.I dont use files and when I grind I only take off just enough to make where the wheel meets the tooth shiny again.And PM me if you want to get rid of any of those RM chains.:eek:uttahere2:

After grinding a tooth feel with the edge of your fingernail for any sign of a burr on the back of the edge. If the grinder wheel gets loaded up then it will overheat the tooth and leave a hard burr on the back of the tooth edge. I always make sure the teeth are squeacky clean before filing or grinding. A sharp photo of a tooth might be helpful here.

I had a guy grind a couple of chains for my 036 a few yrs. ago, and it went the other way, tempered them so hard I could not hand file them anymore....Get some Save-Edge files, don't look back...

Back