Stihl chain...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobster1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Attention all you seasoned professionals... Which Stihl chain would you recommend for cutting hard wood (mesquite) with fine dirt/dried mud on the trunks? I am basically bucking trunks. I used my 460 with 33RSLFK (28" bar). It cut like a champ for about 1.5 tanks of fuel, then all of a sudden the bar/chain began to smoke. While it smoked the engine was lugged down heavily. So I stopped and let the bar cooled for about 5 minutes. I tried to cut again and it worked for about 10 - 15 seconds - cutting well then it began to begin smoking and the motor was lugging again. I backed off the "cutting pressure" the motor began to rev fine. I verified oil flung off the chain. I never cut into the dirt or ever hit rocks with the chain spinning on the bar. I will admit when I picked up the saw the tip touched the dirt, but that was it....
Can a dull chain lug a motor? I would assume it would not???:monkey: Next thing I found out is the rslfk chain is difficult to sharpen. I hear it is critical to have the square angles ground perfect or I will have problems cutting with the chain.
I know there are chains that are much more "forgiving" than the full skip cutters. Hows the RM or RMC? And are these chains a lot better to sharpen than the full skips?
Thanks Chainsaw world!!! :chainsawguy:

Try some RSC (round chisel) and RM (semi-chisel), what is the sweet-spot for a chain isn't easy to guess without trying.

Both are easy to charpen with a file, RM the most forgiving one......

Try some RSC (round chisel) and RM (semi-chisel), what is the sweet-spot for a chain isn't easy to guess without trying.

Both are easy to charpen with a file, RM the most forgiving one......

Cool, I will try them both and post my results... On e bay I will buy a 4 pack or RM for @20 each... Hopefully the seller may let me mix and match and I could try one box of the rsc. Both would require different sharpners?

Cool, I will try them both and post my results... On e bay I will buy a 4 pack or RM for @20 each... Hopefully the seller may let me mix and match and I could try one box of the rsc. Both would require different sharpners?

Nope, 13/64" round file is what is recommended for both.
7/32" work well, as well.

For me dirty wood = RM chain. It will cut slower than the RS out of the box but will hold it's edge a lot better in those conditions. Dirt and full chisel chain just don't seem to play well together. :cry: :D

Yep, I cut a lot of slash pile wood here that is dirty and use mostly Stihl RM chain on my Stihls. On the other saws I use Oregon DP chain. They are both rated for dirty conditions.

As for sharpening Stihl chains, the local dealer here gave me a tip a while back when I bough a few loops. File them for the first half of their teeth life with a 7/32 file. Then switch to a 3/16 file. That way you can use common size files, and you do not have to use the (tend to be more expensive) 13/64 Stihl files.

.... As for sharpening Stihl chains, the local dealer here gave me a tip a while back when I bough a few loops. File them for the first half of their teeth life with a 7/32 file. Then switch to a 3/16 file. That way you can use common size files, and you do not have to use the (tend to be more expensive) 13/64 Stihl files.

The hight you hold the (top of the) file at is more critical than its diameter anyway, but I would stay away from 3/16" on those chains if I could.

On the RSC I use 13/64" for the first couple of filings (hard to make the 7/32" fit on a new chain), then I mostly use 7/32", but go back to 13/64" for the last part of the tooth.

The reason I don't use the 13/64" Stihl files all the way, is that the Husky 7/32" files we get here simply have a better "bite" than the Stihl ones we get, and 13/64" is Stihl only.

Last edited:
Square chisel chain is for clean wood and really requires a grinder to sharpen. By the questions you have asked I believe you are new to saws. How big is the mesquite you are cutting. A 460 with a 28" bar is alot for the mesquite I've seen. A longer bar means more cutters to sharpen. Yes you will lug the motor when the teeth get dull and that is bad on the clutch the bar and the chain. Dull teeth causes heat build up everywhere.

You have to sharpen your chain when ever it is dull but you are much better off to touch up the chain before it is truly dull. If that is half a tank of fuel then so be it. I would look at a semi chisel chain and a shorter bar.

It cut like a champ for about 1.5 tanks of fuel, then all of a sudden the bar/chain began to smoke. While it smoked the engine was lugged down heavily. So I stopped and let the bar cooled for about 5 minutes. I tried to cut again and it worked for about 10 - 15 seconds - cutting well then it began to begin smoking and the motor was lugging again. I backed off the "cutting pressure" the motor began to rev fine. I verified oil flung off the chain. I never cut into the dirt or ever hit rocks with the chain spinning on the bar. I will admit when I picked up the saw the tip touched the dirt, but that was it....
Can a dull chain lug a motor? I would assume it would not???:

I know there are chains that are much more "forgiving" than the full skip cutters. Hows the RM or RMC? And are these chains a lot better to sharpen than the full skips?
Thanks Chainsaw world!!! :chainsawguy:

I am not a seasoned chainsaw pro, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night....

Anyway, to answer some of your questions about smoke and skip: You dulled your chain. No question. With a 460 in big oak (I presume Mesquite is another name for really really hard oak, as it is for live oak in California) the saw should do OK. I could get my 460 to lug too when I put a lot of pressure on the bar in Madrone here. But it should typically cut fast and furious. One thing about hardwood cutting, especially if it is seasoned, is that they will dull a chain a lot faster than cutting green and softwood. When you dull your chain, the saw will lug becasue the teeth are not cutting. The teeth are skipping and that causes a lot more friction and heat. Hence the smoke appears, and it is harder to get through a cut. Then the problem is not really with lugging the saw motor. The 460 can deal with that. The problem is that you will cook your chain and it will stretch fast, as well as put more stress and wear on your bar and sprocket. Read: avoid!

The remedy is to keep your chins nice and sharp. And carry a spare chain that is also nice and sharp. Or get a stump bar clamp and sharpen it in the field. I no longer do this though; takes up way too much time and usually in bad or cold weather, or low light conditions. And things get lost out there in the woods. Also, skip chains are nice in softer wood with longer bars. They allow the saw to keep its revs up. However, they have 1/3 less cutters on them for any particular loop. That means they dull faster. They also 'bounce' the bar around more. I have a full skip loops, and I do not use them that much. It helps keep the revs up on the 290 and spins the loop faster on the bar, but... it gets dull a lot faster. I would not use them on a 460 unless I had a 30 inch or longer bar (I suffer from west coast long bar disease). The flip side to using skip is that there are less teeth to sharpen, so it if faster and easier to keep sharp. I would rather have more teeth though, and usually run standard RM chains which stay sharper longer.

Another 'trick' is the sharpening angle. I use a 30 degree, 0 degree drop on my files. Meaning I sharpen them level with the bench, perpendicular to the bar, at a 30 degree angle. Many types of chain will take a 5 degree drop and/or a 35 degree angle. This will create a sharper cutter (the 460 will cut through wood like it is butter), but they will usually dull faster. I have found that a 30 degree cutting angle, while not as sharp, will stay sharp longer than a 35 degree angle in the woods, especially in variable and cruddy conditions.

Now back to my nap here at the Holiday Inn...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, it is amazing how much there is to know/understand about chains. I have 4 boxes of RM coming in from E Bay. I know I will be very satisfied with the performance.
I know on my crapsman, the factory crapsman chain lasted me over 1 gallon of fuel. I touch up the cutters every other cutting session. I will post the performance of the chains when I try it out - compared to the full skip...
:greenchainsaw:

You are on the right path with the RM. While no chain will be durable in dirt, RM's the best. The round cutter doesn't rely the sharp point on the leading edge to pull the cutter into the wood, and Stihl chain holds it's edge better than about anything out there(IMO) - thicker chrome and harder cutters. The "L" in your RSLFK designates it as a square ground full chisel chain. This is a special grind that will out cut anything, but tolerates NO dirt. It's definitely more sensitive to dirt than round filed full chisel or semi-chisel(RM). If you don't have a $pecial grinder or don't want to invest the time/effort to learn to hand file, your out of luck getting it sharpened because as you eluded, you must have everything perfect or it won't work. The good news is all you have to do is to round file it (or have it sharpened on a standard grinder), and Presto - instant RSK chisel chain that can be easily sharpened. While it won't stay sharp quite as long in dirty wood, it'd be worth keeping around because if you get into some clean wood it will definitely out cut your RM chain. That really impresses the chicks!:smoking:

You are on the right path with the RM. While no chain will be durable in dirt, RM's the best. The round cutter doesn't rely the sharp point on the leading edge to pull the cutter into the wood, and Stihl chain holds it's edge better than about anything out there(IMO) - thicker chrome and harder cutters. The "L" in your RSLFK designates it as a square ground full chisel chain. This is a special grind that will out cut anything, but tolerates NO dirt. It's definitely more sensitive to dirt than round filed full chisel or semi-chisel(RM). If you don't have a $pecial grinder or don't want to invest the time/effort to learn to hand file, your out of luck getting it sharpened because as you eluded, you must have everything perfect or it won't work. The good news is all you have to do is to round file it (or have it sharpened on a standard grinder), and Presto - instant RSK chisel chain that can be easily sharpened. While it won't stay sharp quite as long in dirty wood, it'd be worth keeping around because if you get into some clean wood it will definitely out cut your RM chain. That really impresses the chicks!:smoking:

Thanks for the information. I like the last sentence!:cheers: LOL

One thing you might already know is that as the bar gets hot, it expands. Experement with chain tension. If the motor seems to lug down after 10 minutes of cutting, loosen the chain a little to allow for the bar expansion.

One thing you might already know is that as the bar gets hot, it expands. Experement with chain tension. If the motor seems to lug down after 10 minutes of cutting, loosen the chain a little to allow for the bar expansion.

Hmmm - the chain will also get hot and expand - it is more likely that you will have to tension the chain, imo.....

Talking about heat.... Is there a "duty cycle" when cutting? Say for example should I cut for 1 minute and cool for 5 minutes? Or just crank up the oil and "go for broke?"

It's funny my crapsman says do not exceed WOT (wide open throttle) for more than 30 seconds at a time.:confused: Whats up with that? Will the crapman self distruct after 30 seconds? ??
Let me tell you it will not LOL, I had it WOT (with load) for over 2 minutes and it was not a good sight... Smokn chain and bar... O Well. Thats why I bought a stihl... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Talking about heat.... Is there a "duty cycle" when cutting? Say for example should I cut for 1 minute and cool for 5 minutes? Or just crank up the oil and "go for broke?" ...

If everything is right, just keep on cutting - but it may be a good idea to let things cool down a bit after a long lasting pass, like ripping large wood, or cutting at a large log with a small saw.
This is providing you have a good pro saw, with lesser saws it may be different - I allmost killed a Partner 351 (Poulan 2150) just cutting not-too-large logs once, by not letting it cool enough. That was in coops with the ol' 621 - no probs with that one, see below.

The next time it was the 353 and the 621, no probs at all then.

When cutting large amounts of logs to firewood length, I prefere to use two saws, and use each for only one tank at a time, then change saws......

Last edited:
Hmmm - the chain will also get hot and expand - it is more likely that you will have to tension the chain, imo.....

Eeeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I NEVER tighten a chain when it is hot (except to a really loose fit if it comes off or something). Else it will cool off and contract and be tight as a :censored:'s :censored:. I always tighten my chains when the saw is cold before cutting. I like to have a short snap at the top of the bar (read: snug).

Eeeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I NEVER tighten a chain when it is hot (except to a really loose fit if it comes off or something). Else it will cool off and contract and be tight as a :censored:'s :censored:. I always tighten my chains when the saw is cold before cutting. I like to have a short snap at the top of the bar (read: snug).

Yep, that is true -allways "untighten" the chain before it gets cold again, if you tightened it when hot (can't really remember doing so, but some people do) - or the crank might get bent when it contracts......;)

Latest posts

Back