Stihl chains snapped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So friend of mine has a Jonsered 920, he bought three chains from a dealer they make off the role. All three snapped but not where the joining link was. Very strange, the dealer says it's the saw of course, but he's never had that ever happen before. I was wondering if they sold him .050 and the bar requires .058, I don't see how that would affect the chains but who knows?

So friend of mine has a Jonsered 920, he bought three chains from a dealer they make off the role. All three snapped but not where the joining link was. Very strange, the dealer says it's the saw of course, but he's never had that ever happen before. I was wondering if they sold him .050 and the bar requires .058, I don't see how that would affect the chains but who knows?

If they snapped anywhere other than where they linked them together tell him to take them back and have the dealer warranty them back to Stihl. He gets 3 new ones or his money back. If the dealer refuses tell your friend to call Stihl direct. Stihl would like to know about those chains..

i will place any bet the his raker are to low or his chain is dull . bad/f ucked bar (no oil chain gets hot),but im always wrong and these could be just lemon chains

If they snapped anywhere other than where they linked them together tell him to take them back and have the dealer warranty them back to Stihl. He gets 3 new ones or his money back. If the dealer refuses tell your friend to call Stihl direct. Stihl would like to know about those chains..

Hey Champ!!
I doubt they were Stihl chains.

I've seen a lot of chipped bar rails here in Georgia too and not too likely the saws have been used in frigid temps. Not sure what causes it but I do know I have never had a bar rail chip on a saw I've been using. I would have to think operator technique is involved somehow...
Not saying icy conditions can't cause it, just saying there must be other reasons as well. I think I'll start a post on that so as to not derail this one.

Most rail chipping is caused by not dressing the bar often enough. A burr will eventually turn into a chip.
I use a palm sander to dress bars wether they need it or not. I still have bars I've used for over a decade.
John

I had a bunch of .325/ .063 chains get broken by three different customers. I replaced them, no questions asked. All of them were back within days with broken chains again. This time I asked them all to bring in their saws so I could look at them free of charge. ALL had completely worn out spur drive sprockets. Once replaced, no more broken chains. For some reason, spur sprockets seem to be worse about this than rim sprockets.

Elvis is in the building.

I had a bunch of .325/ .063 chains get broken by three different customers. I replaced them, no questions asked. All of them were back within days with broken chains again. This time I asked them all to bring in their saws so I could look at them free of charge. ALL had completely worn out spur drive sprockets. Once replaced, no more broken chains. For some reason, spur sprockets seem to be worse about this than rim sprockets.
I've seen worn Spurs take out a chain . My guess is the drum floats over and the chain guys up on a higher section of the spur making it way to snug . That can't really happen on a rim. I find it hard to believe 3 chains failed due to defect in the chain even on cheapie chains. I'll bet if you check out that saw it will have something very worn or broken . It's all speculation .. Let's see some photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine were usually broken by kick back/grabbing a log hard, or the chain brake being activated, or in the last year hitting barb wire while working a scrub pile.

10378534_10152970607178714_2297153677011517362_n.jpg

Chain brake activation is big time stress on a chain and I just don't see the 325 taking it very well or often, but it can happen to any size of chain..

If it happens, I would dismount and inspect the chain. I found at least 5 chains in the last year with 1 broken tie strap and most had more cracks around the rivets.

532986_10151566921888714_1251128063_n.jpg

Mine were usually broken by kick back/grabbing a log hard, or the chain brake being activated, or in the last year hitting barb wire while working a scrub pile.

View attachment 402413

Chain brake activation is big time stress on a chain and I just don't see the 325 taking it very well or often, but it can happen to any size of chain..

If it happens, I would dismount and inspect the chain. I found at least 5 chains in the last year with 1 broken tie strap and most had more cracks around the rivets.

View attachment 402414

Yeah, I would love to see a close up of the ice covered chain, sprocket, and bar.

Back