Stihl chainsaw pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience, personally, with the Stihl chainsaw pants, or is a dealer and can tell me about them? I have old USFS chaps and hate them, and want a pair of reasonably lightweight chainsaw pants that have good protection. I see that the Stihl USA website has four different types - winter, summer, denim and something called 'ambush nylon' - all have several layers of 'Engtex' which I assume is some equivalent to Kevlar and provides a reasonable degree of protection. I'd also like to know how much these things are. I can't find them for sale online. I know Labonville and Bailey's, among others, stock their own brands of chainsaw pants, and a friend of mine uses Husky-branded pants which he likes a lot. I'm asking about the Stihl ones only because my regular dealer carries Stihl.

I borrowed my father's Stihl chaps a few times. They're chaps. I chose Husqvarnas when I finally got around to buying my own. I like the blue better than day-glo orange. :)

I own and use all Stihl PPE and the pants fit and quality are first rate, never had a chainsaw hit them so can`t personally say they will stop a chain from cutting the skin but there seems to be plenty of materials in there to clog up the cutters. Helmet and ear protectors are just fine and has the metal face shield with flat black coating so just like wearing sunglasses, always wear my industrial safety glasses under the face shield. The boots are heavy but offer great protection and support for the ankles and shins, we work on very rough uneven ground. Gloves are whatever fit best, mine are Kangaroo leather outer layer with some insulation but not too thick. Just my opinion.
Pioneerguy600

I dont have the Stihl pants...

I like the pants better,,especially in this cold weather....Summer,,yes,,gets kinda hot,,but to me the plus about them is not havin straps ,,open area to get snagged on......

I hate the Stihl chaps. The straps on mine came off just going thru brush. It's like the sewing wasn't very good on them.

I'd shop elsewhere for chaps.

Labonville makes really high quality chaps/pants, made in the USA and they are a site sponsor. You seem to like this site and appreciate its unique qualities. Why not give them your business instead of a large German corporation?? Just some thoughts…

i didnt like the stihl pants i had for a month before i sold them. the fronts felt fine, just like chaps, but the back was some synthetic material that wasnt comfortable on the skin. also had a tendancy to feel like it wasnt there, felt like walkin around with your buns hangin out. i prefer chaps anyways, but did not have a good experience with the stihl pants.

you might try labonvilles. they are really just pants, with kevlar pads that botton in. they make two pants that the pads fit in, polyester and wool. i havent used those either, since i use chaps, but ive heard great reveiws, plus labonvilles is a sponsor of this site.

I tried the lightweight stihl pants for a day and found them too hot and like 371groundie says they have a funny feel about them. I prefer chaps that you can easily take/put off-on as needed. In winter I wear overalls and in summer I wear shorts (it gets very hot here) with Labonville full wrap chaps. I find the Stihl chaps barely cover the front on your legs.

Anyone have any experience, personally, with the Stihl chainsaw pants, or is a dealer and can tell me about them?

I have heard guys say that pants are more comfortable than chaps. The downside is that you have to wear them all day, instead of putting them on only when cutting.

Since they are pants, you will have to launder them more often than chaps.

Philbert

I like my Stihl pants .They can be warm in the summer but not a problem.

tante-tur045.jpg

I bought chaps made by Frontier, got them at the Stihl dealer...a bit cheaper than Stihl pants, but very nice.

They're are top notch.. But they are not pants, they are chaps so they are cool and easy to put on and take off.

Bonden, try wearing them here in Texas,USA in the summer. My chaps on top of jeans are hot enough......I take them off to take a break and my jeans are soaked with sweat.

I`ve got the stihl chaps that fully surround the legs but with the ass and hips hanging out.
In green, they`re hot to wear and restrict movement a fair bit, but they`re easy to get on and off, with zips up the inside leg and a simple clip buckle for the belt. They also feel reasuringly thick with protective material. Havent tested their protective properties fortunately.

Bonden, try wearing them here in Texas,USA in the summer. My chaps on top of jeans are hot enough......I take them off to take a break and my jeans are soaked with sweat.

+1 (Houston summers are BRUTAL for outside work)

Bailey's online has some good chaps - green ones (a little lighter weight) and orange ones (a little heaver weight). I use the orange units and they work well for me.

JQ

I dont know if they are sold in USA,but part number in Norway are #7001-884-0801 starting with small
0802=M /0803=L 0804 /=XL 0805=XXL /0806=XXXL.

I dont know if they are sold in USA,but part number in Norway are #7001-884-0801 starting with small
0802=M /0803=L 0804 /=XL 0805=XXL /0806=XXXL.

Ahhh. That's the catch. Vernebukse ForestWear Comfort. Those are great looking pants. It looks like they will last you a lifetime. How are they sized? What are your measurements and what size do you wear? Do you have any contact info for ordering and shipping to the US?
Thanks, Dave

Back